Electric bike conversion kits ?

spud1966

Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking into converting my bike to an electric bike

But was thinking of getting a 1000w rear wheel conversion, but it goes faster than the 15mph by Law ect

They have a junction box you connect to make it only go 15mph but would that still be a legal ?? as the setup can do 30mph

Was after the faster model so i could knock it down to 15mph and that would put less strain on a normal 250w and have a higher capacity battery that would last more miles before i had to recharge

Think i can just install the peddle assist and not have the throttle control on ?

Last edited:
How would the Police know your motor was pushing you faster than 15mph and that it was not you pedal assisting really quickly :). If you decide to do it throw up links to what you buy and pics of your progress, I like seeing a plan come together.

Cheers for the reply @sneaker m8

The 250w motor is a lot smaller than the 1000w

But if I do it will show pics and will be getting the rear wheel from Amazon as the guy from china is doing a 9 speed cassette setup for my system

Loads do it on Fleebay but only 7 - 8 speed setup

Just wondering if it was leagl if i knock it down to 15mph ect

Thought it was legal for off road biking anyway. The idea of the switch to limit it was for switching between road and off road. There is a thumb throttle also which you can use to keep your speed around the legal limit.
Things may have changed since I last looked into it though. Was interested in getting one myself a few years back.

Are the police really enforcing the limits?

If that is the limit and you make the motor do that, I would of thought it would be legal.

Been looking into converting my bike to an electric bike

But was thinking of getting a 1000w rear wheel conversion, but it goes faster than the 15mph by Law ect

They have a junction box you connect to make it only go 15mph but would that still be a legal ?? as the setup can do 30mph

Was after the faster model so i could knock it down to 15mph and that would put less strain on a normal 250w and have a higher capacity battery that would last more miles before i had to recharge

Think i can just install the peddle assist and not have the throttle control on ?

My 1KW motor has the pedal assist option but it's horrible, it continues powering up the motor for a good second or two after you stop pedalling. Same on a friend's electric scooter. Doesn't sound much but you don't feel in control, especially when you want to slow down.
And with a given battery capacity, your range will be much the same whether it's a 250 or 1K motor.

ooooo never new that @trevortron m8 , thought it would last longer on miles with a bigger battery and knocking the power down to 15mph ;)

If you go for it spud ill be watching your progress.

For me just dont get caught doing 30 on your way to work. Ive a decent Trek and hitting 30 pedaling takes some effort and i bit of a downhill slope to maintain 30. So i guess they would suspect something iffy.

ooooo never new that @trevortron m8 , thought it would last longer on miles with a bigger battery and knocking the power down to 15mph ;)
Logically you may be right - a higher power motor might run a bit cooler and therefore more efficiently but I think the difference would be minimal.
I'd go for the biger motor anyway. I have a 48V 10AH battery (LiFePO4), it's about 3 years old. It used to have a range of about 30km, it's down to about 25 now - that's with me being lazy and not pedalling much and usually going flat-out*. In the cooler months when I feel more energetic I've had over 80 km from a single charge. But despite the 'feel-good' endorphins after a good work-out, I still tend to let the motor do the hard work. Why have a dog & bark yourself?

* Flat out = 30mph on the flat without pedalling, up to 44 pedalling like f*ck!

Logically you may be right - a higher power motor might run a bit cooler and therefore more efficiently but I think the difference would be minimal.
I'd go for the biger motor anyway. I have a 48V 10AH battery (LiFePO4), it's about 3 years old. It used to have a range of about 30km, it's down to about 25 now - that's with me being lazy and not pedalling much and usually going flat-out*. In the cooler months when I feel more energetic I've had over 80 km from a single charge. But despite the 'feel-good' endorphins after a good work-out, I still tend to let the motor do the hard work. Why have a dog & bark yourself?

* Flat out = 30mph on the flat without pedalling, up to 44 pedalling like f*ck!

Is this a mountain bike your getting up to 44 unassisted ? Frig me ive seen 38 down a slope 27 gears going for it like there is a Swedish nymph at the end of my journey.

Is this a mountain bike your getting up to 44 unassisted ? Frig me ive seen 38 down a slope 27 gears going for it like there is a Swedish nymph at the end of my journey.
Yes, it's an old mountain bike I 'modified' a few years ago. But 44 is very much assisted, probably a bit more than the motor's 1KW rating as the battery actually puts out about 53 volts (under load, 56+ idle) for the first few miles. I also changed the large chainwheel to give higher gearing.
And yes, I always use a helmet, the driving standards here are not the best lol!

The 500w and 1000w kits are switchable to 250w for road use and can be derestricted to full power for off road use. A standard electric bike kit from electric bike conversions consists of the following components:

Electric bike kit specifications:
Motor: 250W-500W/1000W gearless, brushless rear hub motor
Usage: In 250w mode the bike can be ridden on the road. When in 500w/1000w mode you must be off road

Speed (250w): When in UK road legal mode (250w) the motor reaches maximum speed allowed by UK/EU regulation (i.e. 15.5mph).
Speed (500w/1000w): When in offroad mode (500w/1000w) the motor reaches maximum speed of 25-30mph.

Wheel size: 26inch, 27.5inch, 700c, 28inch or 29er
Frame Compatability: Requires 135mm clearance
Gear Compatability: 3, 6, 7 and 8 speed freewheels
Wheel material: Double walled alloy rim with reinforced spokes to withstand extra tension.
Wheel Colour: Black rim with silver spokes
Throttle: thumb type.
Brake levers: Electric levers that also cut the power when applied.
Brake compatibility: Compatible with both disc brakes and V-brakes

Battery Options

• Pannier Battery: 500w 36v/11aH. Pannier rack supplied with kit
    - 250w mode gives 40 miles range between charges
    - 500w mode gives 25 miles range between charges
  • Frame battery: 500w 36v/15Ah
    - 250w mode gives 60 miles range between charges
    - 500w mode gives 35 miles range between charges
  • Pannier battery: 500w 36v/17Ah. Pannier rack supplied with kit
    - 250w mode gives 75 miles range between charges
    - 500w mode gives 40 miles range between charges
  • Frame battery: 500w 36v/19Ah
    - 250w mode gives 90 miles range between charges
    - 500w mode gives 55 miles range between charges

1000w 48V:
  • Frame battery: 1000w 48V/12Ah
    - 250w mode gives 60 miles range between charges
    - 1000w mode gives 35 miles range between charges
  • Frame battery: 1000w 48V/16Ah
    - 250w mode gives 80 miles range between charges
    - 1000w mode gives 45 miles range between charges

* Range between charges depends on terrain, weight of cyclists, frequent use of PAS, frequency of stops/starts, air pressure in tyres etc.

@spud1966, a bit off topic but a bloke on a touring bike with a petrol engine on it overtook me at Hebburn fire station, on the path, doing about 40, a couple of years ago.

I thought it was an electric bike but it was some small two-stroke engine.

There is a young lad round our way rides around on a modded electric bike with oversized knobbly tyres. It’s like shit off a shovel. First time I saw him I didn’t know it was electric and couldn’t believe how fast he was going on it until my neighbour enlightened me that it was an electric bike and had been modified to go over double its actual speed.

Back