Electric bike conversion kits ?

I generally use mine at weekends for nipping down to the shops etc. I know it's bad to leave batteries (especially lithium) fully charged or discharged so what I tend to do is try to leave mine at half-charge for the bulk of the time it's sitting idle and just top it up to full the night before I use it. Mine is a LiFePO4 but I'm sure the theory still holds. It's now 3 1/2 years old, the bike has probably done about 15k in that time and there's no noticeable degradation in range or power.
I also have a plug-in hybrid car (Outlander PHEV) and I do same with that- it gets a couple of hours charge at night after I get home (so the battery isn't lying dead overnight or over the weekend) then it gets topped up in the morning before I set out for the day. The car wasn't new when I bought it last year but still the battery's performance is much as it was when I got the car.

Well iv had to email them again ffs man , did about 50 miles and went to charge the battery , constant green light on the charger not going red to say its charging

It has a fuse you can check on the outside of the battery , checked it with a meter and its fine

Also checked the charger unit and all looks fine

Not having much luck at the moment gerrrrrr

NO CHARGE - CONSTANT GREEN LIGHT

Batteries usually have two fuses, an input fuse and an output fuse. If the battery doesn't take charge, it is most likely because the input fuse needs to be replaced. The input fuse is located in different places depending on which type of battery you have. If you are unable to locate it, please do not attempt to open the shell of the battery. Please contact us and we'll arrange to have the fuse replaced for you:
What to do next:
1- Copy the link of this page from your browser. Contact US with a brief explanation and include the link of this page with your support request.
2- A technical advisor will be allocated to you and will contact you very soon. They will personally manage your case until it is resolved.
3- If your product is under warranty, our technician will provide you with a unique number and a form which you must include with the items you send back to us. Please note, you must also provide proof of purchase with any items you send back under warranty.

Well they better reply quickly as I'm going to get Paypal involved again gerrrrrr

Aport from my problems the Ebike is amazing lol

I'm questioning if it is a Lithium-Ion battery. The total discharge and recharge was the procedure a way back when it was NiCad batteries. As far as I was aware, Li-Ion batteries don't require this procedure as what NiCad batteries had to go through stated on your instructions @spud1966 . Li-Ion will degrade through time though, like all rechargeable batteries. Not sure about the annual check also. I'll need to look back at my e-bike instructions.

A quote from an article I found;

"So how do you make your lithium-ion battery last as long as possible? You may have heard you need to do a full charge and discharge when your device is right out of the box—but this doesn’t really matter on modern batteries. What matters most is how you charge your phone or laptop after you’ve started using it.
Shallow discharges and recharges are better than full ones, because they put less stress on the battery, so it lasts longer. When your battery is discharging, Battery University recommends that you only let it reach 50 percent before topping it up again. While you're charging it back up, you should also avoid pushing a lithium-ion battery all the way to 100 percent.
If you do fill your battery all the way up, don't leave the device plugged in. Instead, follow the shallow discharge and recharge cycle we just mentioned. This isn't a safety issue: Lithium-ion batteries have built-in safeguards designed to stop them from exploding if they're left charging while at maximum capacity. But in the long term, electronics will age faster if they're constantly plugged in while already charged to 100 percent."

Source: How to charge your devices the right way

If it's an old NiCad battery, :(

Looks like something is wrong with the battery i'm gutted and will have to wait now and see if the fools reply and resolve this quickly

Been a pain from start to finish building it , but long as they sort it out ASP i would recommend anyone having a go making one but DEFO not from the place i got it from

Quick update, well they are not replying to my email yet again gerrrr

Had to phone up Paypal to reopen my dispute and asking for £300 refund for the battery

No doubt they will be replying to that one HA HA :rolleyes:🤪😂

It's quite possible (likely) that the fault with the battery is a faulty BMS board or even a loose wire. If you end up getting to keep it it'll be well worth opening it up for a look.
Good job you have Paypal on your side, it's about their only good point.

Fingers crossed @trevortron hope I get it for free

I checked the charger and it's kicking out 41v says on the back 42v

And checked the output of the battery when i turn it on it's kicking out 43v

Was reading up about it a little and some or saying if you drain the battery 41v or lower the BMS will not charge the battery ?

Well they have 10 days to reply zzzzzzzz

Fingers crossed @trevortron hope I get it for free

I checked the charger and it's kicking out 41v says on the back 42v

And checked the output of the battery when i turn it on it's kicking out 43v

Was reading up about it a little and some or saying if you drain the battery 41v or lower the BMS will not charge the battery ?

Well they have 10 days to reply zzzzzzzz

Sound like very small margins for stopping charging the battery. Not an expert on these battery systems though.

apparently, if you drain the battery down to 41 or below on a 48v battery the BMS kicks in and goes to sleep mode and will not charge the battery ???????????

not got a clue my self m8 but hope paypal speeds up the crap support this company has zzzz ;)

Last edited:
apparently, if you drain the battery down to 41 or below on a 48v battery the BMS kicks in and goes to sleep mode and will not charge the battery ???????????

not got a clue my self m8 but hope paypal speeds up the crap support this company has zzzz ;)

Ah, I thought I read 42V nominal, which would be a weird voltage.

I've helped design and test lead-acid fork-lift electronics that will lock-out the drive if the battery gets to a certain level. I didn't know it was such a problem with newer type cells, do you know what type it actually is?

Sounds like a right pain, small projects usually have a habit of exploding. Hope you get it sorted easily.

lithium ion batteries

• They are lighter than many other rechargeable batteries of a similar size.
  • They are great at holding their charge, a lithium ion battery pack only loses about 5% of its charge per month in comparison to 20% loss for NiMH batteries.

If the BMS is working correctly it will not let you over-discharge the battery. Even if one bank of cells' voltage drops it should cut the output altogether.
Question - when you were riding the bike, as the battery died did it just 'stop' (like someone pulled out the plug) or did it just get slower & slower?
Mine does the former, it took me by surprise the first couple of times, it does this at around 45V.

Check this out what a plonker

29 July

Followed the instructions to charge the battery 12 hours before using the bike ect , used the bike till the red light on the battery was left on , but when iv tried to charge the battery the green light is constant on no red light saying its charging

Will give you 24 hours to reply if not going to paypal to sort the problem out

July 31

HI There,

When you press the button on the side of the battery that has 4 led lights how many light up?

ME

Just one lights up the red one no green

iv checked the fuse on the outside of the case of the battery doing a continuity test with Multimete and it's fine

And also the checked the batter charger with a Multimete and that is working fine it's showing 41v output

So are you going to reply to my email ?

Plonker Reply

5 August

HI There,

This would indicate that it needs to be charged.

GERRRRRRRR 🙄 🤪🤪

Check this out what a plonker

29 July

Followed the instructions to charge the battery 12 hours before using the bike ect , used the bike till the red light on the battery was left on , but when iv tried to charge the battery the green light is constant on no red light saying its charging

Will give you 24 hours to reply if not going to paypal to sort the problem out

July 31

HI There,

When you press the button on the side of the battery that has 4 led lights how many light up?

ME

Just one lights up the red one no green

iv checked the fuse on the outside of the case of the battery doing a continuity test with Multimete and it's fine

And also the checked the batter charger with a Multimete and that is working fine it's showing 41v output

So are you going to reply to my email ?

Plonker Reply

5 August

HI There,

This would indicate that it needs to be charged.

GERRRRRRRR 🙄 🤪🤪

Paypal to the rescue by the look of it then fix it mate :D

If i was this company rather than come out with something you would of obviously tried id ask for it returned for a service and repair and then back out to you on the mere mention of paypal.

Deffo he is just giving me more ammo to show PayPal if i need it 😂

Yes i filled-in a technical report on their forum 2 times

Back