El Shocko

dizy007

Inactive User
Reaction score
opps Switzerland beat spain

hahahahah nice one swiss boys causing bigest upset in the world cup tournement.

Last edited:
Spain 0-1 Switzerland

World Cup favourites Spain suffered a shock defeat to Switzerland as South Africa 2010 served up its first major upset.

The European champions enjoyed almost total control of the game in Durban but were wasteful in front of goal and went behind after 52 minutes when a long ball was flicked through to Gelson Fernandes, who bundled it into the net.

With Barcelona trio David Villa, Andres Iniesta and Xavi unable to find a breakthrough, coach Vicente Del Bosque threw on forwards Fernando Torres, Jesus Navas and Pedro but to no avail as the European champions slumped to only their second defeat in 49 games.

The result piles pressure on the Spanish, who were widely tipped to finally end decades of underachievement on the game's biggest stage and Del Bosque's men could now be forced to face Brazil in the second round if they finish Group H as runners-up.

Spain had quickly settled into their rhythmic short passing game and, with Switzerland struggling to get the ball out of their own half, the match came to resemble a training game, with Spain's attack trying to find away through a packed Swiss defence.

The first real opening fell to Spain right-back Sergio Ramos, who received the ball in space on the right before dragging his shot wastefully wide, much to the anger of his better-placed team-mates Xavi and David Villa.

Moments later, Andres Iniesta slipped a pass through to Gerard Pique, who cut inside his man before firing straight at goalkeeper Diego Benaglio.

The next attack saw Silva chip a delightful ball over the Switzerland defence for Iniesta, who was brought down on the edge of the area as he tried to get his shot away. David Villa fired the resultant free-kick straight at the wall.

Lone striker Villa looked skilful and lively, but when he finally found space in the box, he opted to pass, and chipped tamely across the face of goal.

The second half began in a similar vein until the Swiss took the lead with the first real attack of the game.

A long punt downfield was flicked through to Eren Derdiyok who bundled it past Iker Casillas and Gerard Pique to leave Fernandes with a simple finish.

Benaglio raced off his line to deny Villa before Del Bosque sent on Torres and Jesus Navas just after the hour mark.

Iniesta and Torres both curled shots wide before former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso almost broke the crossbar with a stunning strike from just outside the area.

With Spain committing more men forward, the game became stretched and Switzerland came within a whisker of taking a 2-0 lead when Derdiyok cut inside Pique and Carles Puyol before flicking a shot which had Casillas beaten but bounced back off the post.

The last ten minutes were a predictable Spanish onslaught but, with Torres looking rusty on his return from knee surgery, Spain seemed to run out of ideas as their efforts became increasingly desperate.

As it was, Switzerland - coached by two-time Champions League winner Ottmar HItzveld - held firm for their first victory in a World Cup opener since 1954.

DW Reporter Juan Nil

Last edited:
Spain had a lot of possession which really didn't lead to much and nearly got caught out a 2nd time

Thought Spain were poor in the 3rd half off the field and it was only a Alonso strike late on that look like there best chance

Ball is now is Switzerland side of the court to win the group

if this happens and Spain finish 2nd then its possible that they'll face Brazil in the 2nd round who are now both joint joint favorites around 5/1

work colleague has just told me that the winners of Euro 2002 - France finshed last in there 2004 WC group stage and Greece winners of 2004 didn't even qualify for the 2006 WC

Still fancy Spain to top the group though

wow! didnt expect that result... must say spain were more of a threat when jesus navas came on, he was very direct and constantly runnin at the defence. for all of spain's possesion, they didnt really create much...

as soon as the swiss went 1 up i was cheering for them, great result.

Lol and I said the Spanish would be epic - well I guess it was epic but not in the way I meant it! ;)

Unbelievable considering all the first games we done ok lol we drew with the Yanks!

Switzerland had a plan but to execute it for the 90 minutes takes some doing brillaint performance Spain were restriced.

Alonso hit a bullet of a shot but really never tested them much.

I must say its been a shit World Cup so far hopefully things will pick up now.

Last edited:
I must say its been a shit World Cup so far hopefully things will pick up now.

1st games always tend to be a bit dull as teams tend to be a bit cautious
will brighten up on the 3rd group games as it's it do or die and the knockout stages should be a bit even a bit more exciting

another EL shocko for france, opps they bottled it again like they did in 2002

Not exactly a shock, as Mexico are a good team

mexico deserved the win but for a super fooking stars in french team they are rubish ribery 60million pound dont think so 60 pence:banana:

Spain looked shite brazil looked just as bad id expect one of those pair to make it from the draw though. fiver on chille anyone ??

Back