EDID help

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So my pile-of-crap soundbar I bought from Currys I've retasked as my pc speaker. I did have it setup to do Dolby atmos as my pc is capable but the Bar decided to power down after 15 minutes of non use. This might not have been an issue but for Atmos to work you need to have the HDMI cable in one of the two HDMI-in ports located on the soundbar. When the bar powers down, this in turn, turns off the display!

So I'm now giving up on Atmos and using ARC but the computer now only sees the bar as a 2 speaker device and not the 5.1.2 that it is(it does have 5 speakers). So i've been looking around and have come across an idea that this is something to do with EDID. The computer is getting the EDID data from the monitor/TV which is only 2 speakers and completely ignores the soundbar's hardware. The solution to this would be to edit the EDID file and this is where I need some help.

Do you guys have any experience with this?

So, managed to create an edited inf file and get windows to install it. Yes it showed up 5.1/7.1 but the speakers would not work only the 2 speakers would work. It also turned off hdr and other graphical improvements.

...i really hate this soundbar!

I remember on the old xp desktop i had to manually setup my 5.1 to work and save it.

I wish it was that simple....

What I'd enjoy more is shoving the Sound bar up the CEO of Currys backside.....

they denied my return but got £30 returned under the price promise....

Update: managed to muck around with the EDID file but when i managed to get the 5.1/7.1 option active, no sound came out the speakers other than the 2 normal ones....

Back