EBAY PROBLEM!!! YOUR views and Ideas HERE!

elite786

Inactive User
Reaction score
somewhere with my tool set, looking for Action ;)
hello everyone,

Just taking a peek through the forums and it appears we have a wee problem, with people posting the hard work of our DW staff on ebay and selling it!:Chainsaw: It has to stop!

how bout password protecting the files?

Some sort of md5 checksum implementation?

some kind of Verification tool?

Camouflaging files?

surely thatll cut the problem down? just a few suggestions, something needs to be done about this! people dedicate alot of there own time and money to produce software, guides and support only for others to rip them off! If the problem still carries on we know theres a few leaks in the forum and then take necessary action.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions please post them here and lets see what we can come up with.

Regards,
Elite786

it would be hard to password the document as people would just ask for it then keep selling it just adding the password. things like adding a stamp on each page would just be that the seller could edit it and take it out. im sure there could be away for these to be kept for this site

Look,

I can safely say that I have been around for a while in the UK DBox Scene and I am one of the guys that invested a massive amount of my spare time writing and translating tutorials for you guys :proud:

You will find many of them floating around on different forums even without asking my permission but that should be the spirit of the Dbox as all you guys are after is free TV and that is not legal: shocked2

Every morning some stupid person will get up and browse around on Ebay because it is easy. It's the same in the forums as you can clearly see in this forum that questions get asked over and over again instead of using the search or reading sticky topics.

This is in the nature of the human being and will not be changed by passwords etc. as a regular member or even I myself could sell that Info on Ebay (I am NOT!!) and you would have no control over it.

Keep name and shame them and maybe someone makes a test buy and leaves negativ feedback with the forum name so other people can see it.

pt-1 said:
Look,

I can safely say that I have been around for a while in the UK DBox Scene and I am one of the guys that invested a massive amount of my spare time writing and translating tutorials for you guys :proud:

You will find many of them floating around on different forums even without asking my permission but that should be the spirit of the Dbox as all you guys are after is free TV and that is not legal: shocked2

Every morning some stupid person will get up and browse around on Ebay because it is easy. It's the same in the forums as you can clearly see in this forum that questions get asked over and over again instead of using the search or reading sticky topics.

This is in the nature of the human being and will not be changed by passwords etc. as a regular member or even I myself could sell that Info on Ebay (I am NOT!!) and you would have no control over it.

Keep name and shame them and maybe someone makes a test buy and leaves negativ feedback with the forum name so other people can see it.

I agree totaly, well said, i said a similar thing in another thread about this, there's no way to stop people selling info on ebay, & when all said & done ALL dbox users are cheating their cable companies out of thousands of pounds every year, so i don't think we're in any position to talk about people selling info on ebay, if people are foolish enough to buy it, then more fool them, when they could just search google & find places like this.

My idea was for someone from this place to put together a cd & make it the cheapest one on ebay & put the profits towards the running of this place, & make the cd known to be coming from here, with links etc on the cd, that would help slow the sellers on ebay, but nothing will ever get rid of them alltogether.

folks with half an inkling about d boxs know who the main contributors are and where the forums are. there are always arseholes out to make a fast buck and they usually end up on ebay thats one of the reasons i stopped using it.the main problem is the folk who wrote these guides are not getting the recognition they deserve for there work.

hi

you could try to encrypt the files some how or write them in pdf with your name and everything and basically if you actually by it of someone on ebay you get their id and get someone to hack them and delete there files and black list their ip on the server.

just saying what i think

: tosser :

If the download section was limited to members with, for example, 20 posts or more and has been a member for more than 30 days, this would stop folk from nipping in, downloading what they want and never coming back. As for the people who already have the information, there's nothing we can do there...except for ideas like Alien Heads.

Just a though! :xmas:

cable companys

surely the cable cable companies will be casting theyre beady little eyes over the stuff on ebay those blokes selling stuff on ebay will probably be attracting a lot of attention

stamping all of our documents and make them read only

Guys,

I have an idea. as one of you already mentioned about stamping all of our documents. now what we can do is convert all of our documents in to PDF files. with WOD stamps and links on every single page. I know how to lock PDF so that its read only and no one can print that PDF document or edit the document or convert the document in other format.

I'm quite happy to do this task if all mods and admins agree. I have got professional version of Adobe 7.0 writer. and it will be only one day job for me.
I would love to do something for our community.

Waiting for the reply from mods and admins.

quick one for you if you lock it how will we get to it?will we need something to unlock it? i think the stamping thing is agood idea and am sure it would work but i think pt-1 has had a few of his ideas ripped off as well and he cant come up with a soloution but would be interested in your idea

Last edited:
Hi.

I am quite a newbie on world of digital. com but I have been active in MANY forums for a good few years.

As you all know this problem is not just limited to the Dbox scene, it goes on throughout MOST technical areas where some work is needed to gain answers.

I have mainly been doing mobile phones and have written some tuts and FAQ's on various topics and yes they get ripped off.

Thing is...

This problem will not go away and passwords and encryption will not stop it because as I have noticed, your forum members (even very active members) will and can rip off your hard work for their own personal gain.

An idea MIGHT be to set up a forum account and make your own discs to sell on e-bay.

This might sound like selling out but it has TWO MAIN advantages.

1. The money made can be channeled to where it really should be going and
2. It would be competing against the leech scum that have no rights to ANYTHING!

Direct competition ALWAYS hurts the traders because they have to undercut to stay ahead. At the minute your work is getting re-hashed, packaged and sold for no monetary gain to anyone but the traders. (Or unpaid to those who have done the work if you like. ) So in effect as long as the disc and P+P is covered even 1p per sale is profit for you guys.

I know PT1, Gav, Cydine and Liam from other forums and like MANY others the are the unsung heroes of the Dbox scene. And if anyone should be getting something for there work it should be these guys.

Look, I could go on forever trying to make my point clear but I was never any good at it so this post could go on forever. A simple way for me to make the point is:-

If you can't beat them....Join them.

At least we know that the idle and stupid peoples money would be coming to the forum and not to some grubby handed info thief.

Just my tuppence worth and like many other forums.....

Wide open for attack! ;-)

Its hardly a problem !

Infact its not even worth posting about it anymore !

Its always happened and its always going to happen. If you make a post then there is a chance someone is going to try and make money off the information contained within that post. If you can't deal with this then dont post - simple as that !

I dont think you could sopit either. Where there is money there is greed and corruption. If necessary people would retype the info if they thought there was a decent wedge of cash to be made. The only comatant against it would be let everybody know, then the c.c. would go bust and no-one would have cable tv.

I've also just had a thought.... even if we done something to the existing files in the downloads section, people have already downloaded the unprotected files previously to their hard drive :( So the existing sellers would still have the information anyway.

HOW'S about passin info on

HOWS about passing on the info to us guys here who enjoy other hobbies names email addresses can be chased up by certain members. I know a guy who knows a guy who could possibly track these guys in his spare time. get into theyre comps and fook em up big time. perhaps a ebay seller list would be pm'd to me or listed in the main part should some other members wish to dig up info on the scum.

remember im parnoid for a reason. i know what my friends capable of. AND BE VERY CAREFULL cause my friend who knows a friend also says a firewall is made of bricks. but his fingers are like sledgehammers. :)

wenglishboy said:
HOWS about passing on the info to us guys here who enjoy other hobbies names email addresses can be chased up by certain members. I know a guy who knows a guy who could possibly track these guys in his spare time. get into theyre comps and fook em up big time. perhaps a ebay seller list would be pm'd to me or listed in the main part should some other members wish to dig up info on the scum.

remember im parnoid for a reason. i know what my friends capable of. AND BE VERY CAREFULL cause my friend who knows a friend also says a firewall is made of bricks. but his fingers are like sledgehammers. :)

That is probably the most childish thing I've read on here.

if you made the downloads password protected and then make members place an add on ebay advertising that the forum is free etc and not to pay for any information (could be a standard ad worded by the forum)then this would also give the forum advertising, and no member would be able to sell on ebay as you would know there ebay name

gav12345 said:
i sent an email to this tosser selling our stuff on ebay and he sent me one back i went through the propertys and found his ip address looked it up and found it under user GerryK4

thats another one perm banned never to come back ass

if any one is here thats selling it will come back to us and we are on your case

other forums that i have noticed are not scanning through other sites looking but we are and we will get other sites to follow

WORDS OF WISDOM

LETS JUST KEEP EVERYTHING FREE PEOPLE

as its FREELY given to you

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with gav and the others that the way forward is - name and shame.
If you protected it by password or whatever it would not stop it from getting out but only ensure that when it did get out it was more valuable therefore putting more coffers into the beggars.

keep up the excellent work guys.

:banana:

Whilst i do very much appreciate the hard work people like liam, cydine, gav etc etc do in providing these tuts and images etc. i really find it a bit ironic that people are getting irked about them ripping off their tuts.etc. Imagine what the cable coys must be thinking. They invest thousands/millions of pounds in their product and we rip them off quite happily and hold the people that make it possible in a very high regard.

I know the problem is more the fact they are making money out of something that is free here, but if people are daft enough to buy it..... Or maybe just happy enough to pay for it as they want to get started somehow, then let them.

Definitely think a naming and shaming on sites like this is the only thing you can do. You aint gonna help someone thats making money off of you.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Back