DVD Shrink unable to rip

stevedw

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I recorded some programmes from tv onto a DVD+RW disc but when I try to open the disc in DVD shrink it says 'Invalid DVD navigation structure'. I want to be able to edit the VOB so it only has part of the video I want. Is there a free program that will allow me to do this?

I think what you may have done is burnt the disk as a data dvd..??? Thats why shrink's complaining about an 'invalid structure'...If you've got Nero, you should be able to open the video file & edit it down

I think what you may have done is burnt the disk as a data dvd..??? Thats why shrink's complaining about an 'invalid structure'...If you've got Nero, you should be able to open the video file & edit it down

I burnt the disc using my dvd recorder so that wouldnt burn it as a data dvd would it?
No, i havent got Nero. the huge file size puts me off. Is a their a smaller program which allows you to edit down VOB files.

I burnt the disc using my dvd recorder so that wouldnt burn it as a data dvd would it?
No, i havent got Nero. the huge file size puts me off. Is a their a smaller program which allows you to edit down VOB files.

Hi stevedw,

Has your DVD recorder burnt the disc with a different-to-norm file structure, instead of audio_ts and video_ts the files are named differently? I had a DVD recorder that would burn discs in non-standard format.

I am a bit puzzled by your comment on Nero, I have all Nero features installed and the file size on the HD is less than 80 megs (including application data entries), if you are going to edit video I wouldn't have thought size was an issue.

Try a google on DVD or VOB editors, there's stacks of video editing software about.

Hope this helps

Muskrat

hmm....does your dvd recorder not like dvd-rw disks??? Doe sit play back in the unit ok?
Have a little fertle on google for free vob editors, looks like there's a few, I also read good things about VideoReDo, but you may have to search a little harder for that ;) nudge nudge lol

Sounds like the same problem my cuz had a while ago with his Goodmans dvd recorder.
He coulndt use dvd shrink or DVD Decrypter so i give him a copy of Slysoft AnyDVD and then it allowed him to use dvd shrink and other programs to copy the files of the dvd.

Hi stevedw,

Has your DVD recorder burnt the disc with a different-to-norm file structure, instead of audio_ts and video_ts the files are named differently? I had a DVD recorder that would burn discs in non-standard format.

I am a bit puzzled by your comment on Nero, I have all Nero features installed and the file size on the HD is less than 80 megs (including application data entries), if you are going to edit video I wouldn't have thought size was an issue.

Try a google on DVD or VOB editors, there's stacks of video editing software about.

Hope this helps

Muskrat

Ive just looked in the DVD disc and the 2 folders are VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS
Is that a non-standard format?

I just searched for the trial of Nero 8 and the file is 183 MB. The size is an issue mainly because i only have a 3GB monthly usage for my broadband.

Last edited:
Extract/Copy the Video_TS folder to your hard-drive and try to reauthor it with DVD shrink then reburn the DVD in the standard DVD video format without the "Video_RM" folder.

If you have trouble getting the Video_TS folder of the disc try running the Prog i posted before that will remove all the protections thats stopping you getting acces to the files.

Extract/Copy the Video_TS folder to your hard-drive and try to reauthor it with DVD shrink then reburn the DVD in the standard DVD video format without the "Video_RM" folder.

If you have trouble getting the Video_TS folder of the disc try running the Prog i posted before that will remove all the protections thats stopping you getting acces to the files.

I tried copying the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive, it said it would take over 60 minutes then a few minutes later the blue screen of death came up and said MEMORY MANAGEMENT. When the computer re-booted i then just copied the VOB file that i needed instead of the whole VIDEO_TS folder but when i tried to open that VOB file in DVD Shrink it said i cant find the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. i then copied an IFO file from the DVD but then it just said the same error about Invalid DVD navigation structure.

I tried copying the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive, it said it would take over 60 minutes then a few minutes later the blue screen of death came up and said MEMORY MANAGEMENT. When the computer re-booted i then just copied the VOB file that i needed instead of the whole VIDEO_TS folder but when i tried to open that VOB file in DVD Shrink it said i cant find the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. i then copied an IFO file from the DVD but then it just said the same error about Invalid DVD navigation structure.

The reason for the blue screen of death mate is because you tried to copy a protected file its just doing its job by kicking you off saying no no no your not having access to me.

Did you try the AnyDVD tool by slysoft i suggested ? it has a Ripper built in that will rip the files to the hard-drive for you then you can do what you want with them after that mate.

The reason for the blue screen of death mate is because you tried to copy a protected file its just doing its job by kicking you off saying no no no your not having access to me.

Did you try the AnyDVD tool by slysoft i suggested ? it has a Ripper built in that will rip the files to the hard-drive for you then you can do what you want with them after that mate.

No, I havent tried AnyDVD yet. The VOB file i want is actually on my hard drive now so I don't need a ripper, I just need a program let will allow me to edit the vob.

No, I havent tried AnyDVD yet. The VOB file i want is actually on my hard drive now so I don't need a ripper, I just need a program let will allow me to edit the vob.

Ahhh i see the ripper will give you the files you need to re-author but now you have the VOB file you want to use try this out mate:

TMPGEnc DVD Author

hxxp://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda20.html

They have a trial and retail version i use it my self for home made video DVDs i just drag the VOB file into the source section or use the add video button when you go next into the create menu section choose No Menu as i found it goes out of sync if you use a menu.

Last edited:
Back