DVB - PC Cards dvb-c pc card

marra

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi, can anyone tell me if i got a dvb-c pc card would i be able to view channels other than fta on pc or only the ones available. i was wondering if there would be some kind of softcam option as in a dbox. at the moment i have a dvb-t usb stick but i want to recieve all the tw channels on my pc through win media center if a dvb-c wont do can some point me in the direction of a good dual tunner (dvb-t and analogue) and ill watch cable through the RF not ideal but it would do, cheers.

nozzer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi, can anyone tell me if i got a dvb-c pc card would i be able to view channels other than fta on pc or only the ones available. i was wondering if there would be some kind of softcam option as in a dbox. at the moment i have a dvb-t usb stick but i want to recieve all the tw channels on my pc through win media center if a dvb-c wont do can some point me in the direction of a good dual tunner (dvb-t and analogue) and ill watch cable through the RF not ideal but it would do, cheers.

Have a read of the section for more info but essentially, the answer to your question is YES, you can get all channels with a dvb-c card (You cannot use the freeview dvb-t card though !)

marra

DW Regular
Reaction score
cheers nozzer ive had a read of the other threads and the TwinhanDTV Cab-CI seems the way to go if anyone can confirm this, does this card use bda drivers so i can use it in win mce also can a softcam be used for scrambled channels or will i have to buy a cam? ive read its possible but there is slower channel changes but that doesn't matter to me as it will only be used for recording to the pc so i wont be going through the channels as such, any help appreciated, cheers.

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have the Cab.Ci using a soft CAM working fine with BDA drivers.

As to OSs:-

Vista - would not accept the drivers.

XP Pro- Fine

MCE - have not tried but as far as I know, it would work fine within the XP part but not within MCE itself.

If anyone has got MCE work I'd love to know how.

Edit

Someone has done it with a DVB-S card here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319927

But you would need a hard CAM i think.

Last edited:

jimbo19

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have MCE2005 and VIsta MCE working fine : multi :
However this is only with the firedtv solution with cam and card , but its great fast channel change etc etc
Just a shame Vista MCE is such Pants !! GUI is awful with sideways scrolling and they still haven't implemented a live buffer record :(
Media portal is way ahead - just need a decent stable version with s3 resume support

Last edited:

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
Had another look at the BDA setup files - there is MCE support there, but you would definatly need a hard CAM, as there is no to put the plugins in MCE as far as I know, if someone knows different let us know

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is a DVB section and most of your queries will aply to a sat card as well as a cab card

gerner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Getting dvb c and s cards working in MCE is a bit opf pot luck according to what bridging software the card company supplies.

As Jimbo said, you can get the fire/floppy dtc cards working with MCE, cable and satellite.

You can also use tt 1500 c / s cards to work as technotrend have got some software to make it work.

Twinhan have got an app to make their dvb-s cards work with MCE but I'm not sure if you can tweak this to get the dvb-c cards working.

I'd say if you want to get your dvb s or c cards working in MCE you're better off looking at FireDTV or tt 1500 series cards, there seems to be plenty of people have got these working.

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
Getting dvb c and s cards working in MCE is a bit opf pot luck according to what bridging software the card company supplies.

As Jimbo said, you can get the fire/floppy dtc cards working with MCE, cable and satellite.

You can also use tt 1500 c / s cards to work as technotrend have got some software to make it work.

Twinhan have got an app to make their dvb-s cards work with MCE but I'm not sure if you can tweak this to get the dvb-c cards working.

I'd say if you want to get your dvb s or c cards working in MCE you're better off looking at FireDTV or tt 1500 series cards, there seems to be plenty of people have got these working.

Basiaclly from what I have read the only way that DVB-C or DVB-S cards work is to have a bit of software to make MCE think that it is looking at a DVB-C card, I would think that most manus now provide that.

That being said its still a pain in the arse to use and does not allow for soft CAMs

And MS are probably never going to do that with the fact that they want to tke over the Home Theater Market

marra

DW Regular
Reaction score
cheers for the replies i took the plunge and bought a skysat 2 dvb-s card from flebay im gonna leave mce as jonmmm said no support for softcam which is one of the main reason im getting it, thanks again.

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
cheers for the replies i took the plunge and bought a skysat 2 dvb-s card from flebay im gonna leave mce as jonmmm said no support for softcam which is one of the main reason im getting it, thanks again.

If I'm not very much mistaken you will definatly need a Hard Cam for Sat

charlieram

Inactive User
Reaction score
deffinately will for sky uk, no softcam can do that, I have twinhan dvb-s card for about 3 years and only just swapped to dvb-c, wish I bought it years ago now! the twinhan DVB-S does work in mce but only freeview channels and you dont even get C4 or five with that and thats the same for any software, your best bet is to get a motorised dish as some other providers can be compromised with a softcam.

marra

DW Regular
Reaction score
cheers charlieram i allready have a tm1500 motorised setup m8 im mostly getting the dvb-s for 4:2:2 feeds so hopefully when wigan aren't on art or any other channel that is available i might get it on a feed. ive been reading up and know now i can get all the packages via softcam for the sat card as i get on my tm1500 which is also what i was looking for next i may get a usb dvb-c if one is available hopefully so not cause any conflicts thanks everyone for your help (again lol)

TEST