Duracell.... grrrr!! Never buying another one.

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this is the first time I've started a thread in the Rant room.
Bloody Duracell batteries. Didn't they have a no-leak guarantee once upon a time?
Well clearly not now. Time and time again I am finding rotten Duracells in remotes, torches & other things that use... batteries.
The one pictured below was in a really powerful head-torch a friend gave me. I will have to dismantle the thing as it now does not completely switch off, the acid has caused some internal damage. Another one ruined a nice Sony LCD remote control that came with an A/V amplifier. It's getting expensive!
Now I know dead batteries (can) leak. But these should be healthy. They're not old, this one wasn't even dead. So why the feck are they spewing their guts?
I see Energizer are now advertising no-leak batteries. If it's true, I'm sold.
(Note the 'EU' marking, yet "Fabriqué en Chine)

IMG_20181220_230552.jpg

Got some rechargeable ones from fleebay and they charged only a few times gerrr never had time to leak

But very annoying if they state no-leak guarantee

Bummer.
I've nt seen Duracell claiming no-leak for a while. Maybe it was costing them too much in claims.
I do use rechargeables when possible, Ikea's "Ladda" seem to be good (confirmed by Big Clive on YT) but sometimes you need that extra 0.25V for things to work properly - especially if you have a few in series. Remotes can be a bit touchy around 2.5V.

I have been using the Costco Kirkland batteries for years never had any problems with them leaking and they seem to last for ages.

Mind you they are made by Duracell in the USA and not China, and they are much cheaper than Duracell branded ones too.

I bought some duracell today from the pound store 2 x aa for a £1.00 seem ok to me and just took some out of a weather station thats been outside for a year and no leaking. That has been under extreme cold and heat.

thanks so much for getting in contact. If you have experienced any problems with batteries leaking then please do contact our customer service team on 0800 716 434 as they will be able to advise you on further action

Back