Dundee to become Scotland's first 'fibre city'

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Dundee is to become Scotland's first 'fibre city' offering residents high-speed connectivity and broadband speeds of more than 100Mbps.

Work on the new network will begin early next year and should be available to 55,000 households by 2010.

Technology supplier H20 Networks is already offering a sewer-based broadband service to small, concentrated user communities, including Bath and Aberdeen University.

"Dundee is the most densely populated city in Scotland, but this project will see us bringing connectivity to more remote areas as 'Fibrecity' is an all-inclusive solution," said Elfed Thomas, chief executive at H2O Networks.

"Many households and broadband customers have insufficient connectivity bandwidths because they are attached to legacy networks deployed in the 20th century that just cannot cope with demand."

Meanwhile, rival provider Geo has announced an extension of its fibre network in London, connecting to a data centre on London's South Bank via the London sewer system.

Claiming to offer capacities between 1Gbps and 10Gbps, the new extension builds on the company's existing central London network which connects London Bridge and Southwark Street behind the Tate Modern.

"Geo will continue its aggressive network expansion into the second half of 2008, following last year's successful 20 per cent increase in fibre across our London Green Zone," said Geo sales director Mark Ryder.

By Guy Dixon
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219526/dundee-scotland-first-high-speed-city-fibre

How did they choose Dundee of all places?

No disrespect to any Dundonians here, but wouldnt Glasgow or Edinburgh been a better target?

I'm sure Cliff will be along shortly to fight his corner :)

Here I am :)

Dundee is to become Scotland's first 'fibre city' offering residents high-speed connectivity and broadband speeds of more than 100Mbps.

Work on the new network will begin early next year and should be available to 55,000 households by 2010.

Technology supplier H20 Networks is already offering a sewer-based broadband service to small, concentrated user communities, including Bath and Aberdeen University.

"Dundee is the most densely populated city in Scotland, but this project will see us bringing connectivity to more remote areas as 'Fibrecity' is an all-inclusive solution," said Elfed Thomas, chief executive at H2O Networks.

"Many households and broadband customers have insufficient connectivity bandwidths because they are attached to legacy networks deployed in the 20th century that just cannot cope with demand."

Meanwhile, rival provider Geo has announced an extension of its fibre network in London, connecting to a data centre on London's South Bank via the London sewer system.

Claiming to offer capacities between 1Gbps and 10Gbps, the new extension builds on the company's existing central London network which connects London Bridge and Southwark Street behind the Tate Modern.

"Geo will continue its aggressive network expansion into the second half of 2008, following last year's successful 20 per cent increase in fibre across our London Green Zone," said Geo sales director Mark Ryder.

By Guy Dixon
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219526/dundee-scotland-first-high-speed-city-fibre

Answer highlighted Karym ;)

Yeah, but Edinburgh is Scotland financial center, I would have assumed that it would be much more beneficial to get it done here to foster new business.

Then again, if Dundee has poor broadband at the present time, then it would make more sense to get it installed there I suppose.

Yeah, but Edinburgh is Scotland financial center, I would have assumed that it would be much more beneficial to get it done here to foster new business.

Then again, if Dundee has poor broadband at the present time, then it would make more sense to get it installed there I suppose.

Dundee's a Smart City :)

Might have something to do with it?

this is good news for me then hahaha :banana::banana:

just bitterness from the rest of u lot that they chose dundee ;)

Its all to do with cost, the more densely populated the area the cheaper it is to connect up the home. Getting more customers per metre.

Cable done the same thing, most terraced houses were done 1st, along with less affluent built up areas where the houses were closely spaced.

Its all to do with cost, the more densely populated the area the cheaper it is to connect up the home. Getting more customers per metre.

Cable done the same thing, most terraced houses were done 1st, along with less affluent built up areas where the houses were closely spaced.

Ho-hum, I guess its just a case of the green eyed monster for me then.

Right now, there is an ideal opportunity to get the fibre in the ground with all this tram nonsense going on.

Ho-hum, I guess its just a case of the green eyed monster for me then.

Right now, there is an ideal opportunity to get the fibre in the ground with all this tram nonsense going on.

H20 dont dig up roads karym, they feed through the sewer network.

Sewer+pipe_1150_18438862_0_0_14516_300.jpg

how

Last edited:
In that case I remember hearing about this a few months ago. Seemed interesting then, hopefully this will deliver the goods before BT's 21CN (BT, who incedently chose a small town in Wales for its first test).

There is still ample opportunity for some enterprising company to do something useful with the Edinburgh Tram scheme though...

this is off topic but I was at a job in Dundee today (Lochee to be exact) and the guys on the job who come from NE England couldnt get a hotel anywhere in Dundee.. closest they could find was the Broxden Travelodge in Perth.
WTF is happening in Dundee that they have no hotel rooms?

this is off topic but I was at a job in Dundee today (Lochee to be exact) and the guys on the job who come from NE England couldnt get a hotel anywhere in Dundee.. closest they could find was the Broxden Travelodge in Perth.
WTF is happening in Dundee that they have no hotel rooms?

Everyone visiting me maybe? lol

Nah, seriously? Nothing big that I know of is going on in Dundee at the moment.

You must have seen the worst of Dundee then if u were in Lochee:Laugh:

Back