Dumb Questions

c9679

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I thought I would post my first rant...

Doesnt everyone hate really annoying, frustrating, pointless and silly questions??? :)

I wake up happy with a smile and usually always happy, however I get really wound up by some questions I get asked each and every day by some people.

For example, I have a mate who works in a shop by our shop, each Monday at 10 as soon as we open he comes in and asks me How was your weekend?
Each Monday, I reply with "Fine"
"Do anything interesting?" - Him
"I slept" - Me

He visits about 5-10 times a day and each time he asks the following
"How you doing?"
I answer "Fine..." in a long boring monotone way...

Now this has been going on for 9 months, the same question each and every day its really really gets on my nerves...

Then each day I get about 10 customers a day, asking
"Do you unlock phones? and how much does it cost?"
"Yes, we do which phone is it?" - Me
"I dont know"
"Do you have the phone with you?" - Me
"No, should I bring it in? but how much is it?"
"Do you know the model number?" - Me
"I think its a T-Mobile I want to use it on Vodafone"
"Do you know the make?" - Me
"I just want to know how much you charge?"
"It depends on the phone, do you know if its a Nokia, Samsung, etc" - Me
"I dont know, roughly how much is it?"
"It really does depend on the phone, £5 to £30" - Me

.... It goes on like that, we have a big sign over the window saying unlocking, so its obvious we do unlocking, why enquire about unlocking when you dont have the phone with you, you dont know the model or even the make... I have the same conversation about 10 times a day at least

We are a mobile phone shop, we have mobile phone posters up every where, we have the name MOBILE PHONEZ as the company name. We have a gigantic light up sign saying Mobile Phonez :)

"Do you sell phones?"
"Yes" :) - Me
"No I wasnt too sure, if you just sold phones on their own?"
"Yes we do" - Me
"Thanks I will pop in when I have some money"

So how much do you charge to unlock a phone?

Yeah but thats the weird thing though, these people dont bring the phone with them to the phone shop... They dont know the model they dont even know the make... You ask them if its a Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung etc and they just look at you all funny and say I dont know its Pink... Dont you have one here that I can just show you... lol

Starman: Fine... :)

I had another funny one today, we have a glass door into the shop, this door has a big giant poster of Orange. On the poster it says "Orange Pay As You Go Sim Card" it has a big giant Orange logo on it and then under that it says Just £1 here...

Just as I was about to close up, A lady is standing around in front of the door, looking through the windows, and reading every inch of that poster... After about 3-5 mins of just standing outside the shop looking through the windows, with me just sitting down wondering whether I should just press the shutter key, lock the shop and go, she finally decides to come in, she reads the poster again this time with the door open...

She walks in and says "Do you sell Orange Sims?" - Very rudely and abruptly
"Yes we do" - Me
"Are they pay as you go?"
"Yes they are" - Me
"Im just enquiring, I dont know if I want one, How much are they?"
"£2" - :)
"But your poster says £1"
"Ok, i'll give it to you for a £1" - Me
"Ok, I need to ask my husband about it I will pop in later"

On the plus side of all of this, I have a couple of charity boxes for some hospitals around the area, no one apart from me has ever put money into these boxes, each time I am asked a dumb question, I take a pound out of the till and put it into the charity box... I have managed to collect £300+ in the last few months, just by doing that...

Ive even had an extended version of the above before
"Do you sell phones?"
"Yes" - Me
"No I wasnt too sure, if you just sold phones on their own?"
"Yes we do" - Me
"How much are they?"
"Which one?" - Me
"Any?"
"They all have different prices, ranging from £15-£600" - Me
LOOK OF SHOCK
"Dont you have any free ones?"
"We do on Contract, we have some great offers at the moment on T-Mobile and Three" - Me
"Dont you have any on Pay as You go?"
"Not for FREE, sorry" - Me
"I need one for FREE or very very cheap, how much is that one?"
Nokia 5300
"Thats £50 brand new boxed and unlocked to work with any network" - Me
"Im not paying £50 for a phone, I just want one for FREE"
"We have these others for £15" - Me
"I like that Nokia one, cant you just do me a deal on that for £15, I know how this mobile business works your not going to be here in a couple of months"
"We have a long term lease, we have been around for 10 years, we're not going anywhere" - Me
"You dont have the lease someone else does, its all a con, cant you just sort one out for me?"
"If its all a con, we arent going to make much are we if we give away £50 free stock to each drunk idiot that walks in are we?"
... It carried on like that, for ages... Finally I got bored, so I had to get my 2 security guards to just throw him out...

Anyway thats my rant, doesnt anyone else get frustrated over things like that???

Last edited:
It's a black one m8 on virgin :proud:

£35 mate :banana:

Pink ones £30

Purple ones £28

White ones £35

Yellow ones £25

Think im going to print a list like this and stick it up in the window...

lmao, I agree with Joe1989, maybe it's time for a change of career mate :)

I used to work in a supermarket, I know all about idiotic customers with idiotic questions :)

Quick question while I'm here... ;)

For a 13 year old boy, how do you feel about the SE 580i?

Is the fone too flimsy?

Dont get me wrong, I like my job and im always happy, I always help people whether they buy something or not... I just dont understand some of the silly questions I get asked and some being asked each day tend to grate on me like nails on a chalkboard :)

The w580i, is quite a decent phone for teenagers especially as all SE phones are good for Music and it has some decent features... I think the cheapest price the last time I checked was on Play.com, also look out for the S500i they are virtually identical, however they do come in a few odd colours so it might not be right for most guys :)

It is generally a decent phone, the only fault with them really is the screen is a little easy to damage, unlike a lot of other phones you have the LCD panel exposed, there is no protective lens over the lcd on this handset (like the N95) so it can get damaged, however that said the screen prices for these arent too bad and they are simple to change yourself :)

It is a decent phone, if he might like a candybar instead try looking for w610i, thats quite decent too last time I saw them they were around £69.99, these arent slide phones but they are very slim and decent looking handsets with similar features to the w580i

Keep away from the w880i and w850i :)

Last edited:
Mate, I've got a genuine silly question for you...

I've already posted it here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed my daughter the w610i a few months ago, I got it for £54 from ASDA (wife works there and we get a discount ;) ) She absolutely loves it.

I think I'll go with the w580i for my son as i had a play with it the other day and i was fairly impressed with it, it has a few extra toys over the w610i, my only concern is him killing the screen.

Thanks for your help mate.

You can get a protective plastic case for the phone mate, they clip onto the phone and would cover the screen and the whole phone, I sell tonnes of them for the N95 and these phones, however realistically we get phones with broken screens each day from all sorts of phones... The screen protection issue on this phone is just my personal observation, however we dont really get any more of these for repairs than any other phone, in fact usually with the phones that do have a protective lens over the lcd we get a lot of people dropping them and its the protective lens that ends up cracking and pressing into the lcd panel, which then breaks the lcd :) so you end up having to replace the lcd and the housing on those phones...

It is a very good phone, we prefer to sell these rather than the W910i which is nearly twice the price and the only main difference is that has a better camera

Last edited:
Hey c9679,cant resist this.....how was your weeknd ?
:classic:

The Starman

Hi c9679
I have a lot of sympathy with your job

I get lots of stupid questions ever day, im a copier engineer, I'll be working on a machine and have the machine in a million bits on the floor and you can gaurantee someone will come up and say
Can I not use it then?............
Can I have a quick copy"....................I think... OPEN YOUR EYES D***head!
Is it broken again?............................
Are you here again?.........................I've never been ever and nobody's been for 6 month's!
It's always jamming this machine...............
I print an internal test print and it displays 2 jams in 60 000 copies, Why lie?

By the time somebody has said do you want to come on our christmas do, or do you want a bed here,?
(like i've never heard it all before)
I just want to bloody punch somebody!
And then to add insult to injury they will ask all the office do they want a brew but wont ask me even when im stood at the side of them!

Cutomers who'd av em,

Starman, I will answer just like I answer each week :)

"How was your weekend?"

"Fine" - Me

"Do anything interesting?"

"No" - Me

"What did you do?"

"Sleep" - Me

"You should have had a barbeque... Next week have a Barbeque"

... This is weird because each time he says the same thing even if its been raining... :)

"No, thanks" - Me

"Anyway leave you to it, will be back later"

"Cool, bye" - Me

The conversation, later then starts again about 11:30AM with

"How you doing?"

"Fine"

How you doing? is repeated about 5 times a day every day however is sometimes alternated with "How was your day?"

Johny b good:- Thanks mate, I fully sympathise with you too... I can just imagine me doing that same job and someone coming in and saying have you tried putting paper into it...

Back