Dual LAN causing problems... (Each LAN config'd seperately)

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok, so this is really getting on my tits now.

I've got a two LAN ports on my 'Puter.

One is connected to the Router, and delivers internet to the PC via the Linksys router.

The other is set up as a static ip, and used as a direct connection to the Dreambox.

However, after a while surfing my internet stops working on the PC, and I've either got to Release/Renew on the Router, along with a Repair on the LAN in XP. (Every few mins sometimes)

Or, if I disable the second LAN (Dreambox) everything works just fine, and my internet is fine again...

This is a fairly recent problem, as in the last couple of months, and I've tried all sorts. (Cables/Swapping ports/Fresh Install of XP/etc)

It's a real pain disabling the second LAN, as it means I can't watch TV while surfing...

Hope this makes sense...!

Any ideas please...?

What is the lease period for the DHCP address.

Have you tried assigning a static IP for the internet conneect as well.

Whe you say different IP addy do you mean 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1?

They not set to share the internet connection somehow are they?

Is one an on baord and the other PCI?

What MB are you on and what OS?

It's certainly possible to use the 2 as I have done so myself. But I never saw this issue. So it's interesting to find out whats going on. Going to put another in my PC to see if I can replicate the problem.

I have the exact same problem!

I gave up in the end and decided to continue talking to my Dreambox via the router as usual.

The other LAN is still active but nothing is connected to it, as soon as I connect anything to it and it gets an IP address my Internet (on the other LAN) starts dissconnecting / locking up and I need to renew the connection.

Also thought that oneman and my guess is that Dazza is thinking of load balancing of the network. But the networks not big enough to worry about that and the dbox is not really using the network in normal watching mode. But maybe something else.

I put in another network card, one is on board and the other is PCI.

Connected dbox via router and onboard with straight network cable, went on line. No problem.

Connected from dbox to PCI NIC with xover cable, IP 192.168.1.2 (set manually & not by DHCP, also with no gateway or prefered DNS) and connected from router to onboard NIC via straight lan cable, IP 192.168.0.2, Gateway 192.168.0.1, both cards live and talking to respective devices with internet on line and no problem.

Running this setup for about an hour but still no problem like your seeing Dazza m8 and still running while I'm on DW reporting my findings.

Cheers for the replies... Answers in no particualr order...

Both LAN's are onboard, not PCI. On my old mobo, I didn't have two LAN's onboard, so I used to run the one onboard, and the other LAN via a PCI NIC. I never had any problems with that setup either... Using the exact same configs I'm using now.

IRQ's for LAN one is 16, and LAN two 17.

Router ip addy/s are standard DHCP settings.

Dream static ip is on a completely different range altogether.

Lease time for DHCP ip is (according to the router) usually about between 5 and 7 days... (Does change somewhat with the constant Release/Renew) XP just gives the standard reading of 24 hours lease time.

As for why I'm not connecting the Dream to the Router...? A simple case of economics. I already had a 10m crossover cable available, so I didn't (don't) see the point in buying a 10m patch cable. Especially as I never had any intent of using the Add-On server side of things... I also prefer to keep things seperate... Don't know why, I just do...! ;)

I've not set static's to the other LAN, because I'd need to change 3 other units, and I'm a lazy barsteward... If push comes to shove I guess I could, but I think that's a Red Herring TBH, as when the LAN's are seperate, (not both onboard) everything works just fine...

Hope I've not missed anything... Cheers again peeps...

I was wondering why you don't connect your dreambox to your router ?

That's what I eventually did, I couldn't be arsed farting with it any longer, lol

I reckon my issues are down to a shit PCI network card not following protocol properly, like Dazza, I've had a similar config running perfectly well on other systems, I've had 4 PCI Lans cards all running together talking to individual hardware (before I bought a router) and I never had an issue with any of them.+

Last edited:
Have you actually tried connecting the dreambox to te router. AFAIK most routers (and many new NIC cards) don't mind if you use a patch or crossover cable. They can autodetect and configure accordingly. It's worth a try before you go out and buy a new cable.

Was just wondering what happens if you switch the devices onto the alerternative onboards?

Also what MB is it?

Q1 - Couldn't get anything to work at all. Can't remember what the problems were now, as I've tried so much, and been testing it all on clean, vanilla install ghost image backup I made. (IIRC, I couldn't get internet on the other port at all with the Dream connected, but don't quote me on that!)

Q2 - Asus P5K Premium WiFi. (WiFi disabled permanently in BIOS)

Have you actually tried connecting the dreambox to te router. AFAIK most routers (and many new NIC cards) don't mind if you use a patch or crossover cable. They can autodetect and configure accordingly. It's worth a try before you go out and buy a new cable.

Hmm, that's a new one on me, I didn't know that. So no, I've not tried that...

My Router is a Linksys WRT150N.

Ok, so this is really getting on my tits now.

I've got a two LAN ports on my 'Puter.

One is connected to the Router, and delivers internet to the PC via the Linksys router.

The other is set up as a static ip, and used as a direct connection to the Dreambox.

However, after a while surfing my internet stops working on the PC, and I've either got to Release/Renew on the Router, along with a Repair on the LAN in XP. (Every few mins sometimes)

Or, if I disable the second LAN (Dreambox) everything works just fine, and my internet is fine again...

This is a fairly recent problem, as in the last couple of months, and I've tried all sorts. (Cables/Swapping ports/Fresh Install of XP/etc)

It's a real pain disabling the second LAN, as it means I can't watch TV while surfing...

Hope this makes sense...!

Any ideas please...?

problem could be due to your routing table, when the problem occurs (I assume you using Windows) do a command prompt and type in

route print

and see where traffic is being routed.

problem could be due to your routing table, when the problem occurs (I assume you using Windows) do a command prompt and type in

route print

and see where traffic is being routed.

I can see no difference between the logs mate, but then maybe I'm not looking properly...

Pic 1 - With the problem, though it was still working, just taking a while... (Didn't need a Release/Renew this time..)

Pic 2 - TV LAN disabled...

No idea why you wanted wifi though? :(

I didn't...!

But it was the only board that met my other needs as well. (Firewire, 2 Lan, BIOS Boot menu) Hence why I said in this thread that the WiFi is disabled in the BIOS. ;)

It's still a good mobo though mate...!

Back