Dreambox setup, need a little help

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice given in my previuos thread which was unfortunately closed before I could reply.

Yo MONkey good to see you still streaming all kinds a shit over networks :) (reminds me of Mike TV in Charlie and the Choclate Factory)

Cheers fergy and mgb. I now know that I definetly want to play with a Dreambox and will be ordering one soon. I just need some advice on wheather I should buy the PVR model or the 500c. My setup is

Sharp 37" LCD 960x540

HTPC connected via DVI-HDMI
Zalman 160HTX
Core2Duo E6300 o'c till it bleeds
Geforce 7900GTX
crappy Freecom USB DVB-T Freeview dongle which gives an excellent picture but really bad lip sync

Dbox2 connected via top notch Lindy Scart cable

I want to be able to record tv and possibly have some type of PVR functionality but its no big deal if I dont. Would I be better of buying a 500c or shall I buy a more expensive Dreambox with hard drive? If I buy the 500c could I record straight to a hard drive on my PC or would I need a capture card or something. I do have a Osprey 530 capture card at hand should I need to do any testing.

Or I could just buy a DVD Recorder and connect it to my Dreambox. Would I have any problems with macrovision (sorry for the noob question lol)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has tried the dvd/hd recorder option. I have played a lot with recording to hard drives and I can never ever ever get a perfect recording. I always get tiny gliltches and you end up just waiting for the next one to come along instead of enjoying the pic. Nor can my mate who spends far more time than I at it. If someone knows about the macrovision .... put up a comment here. Because of this I wouldn't bother with the pvr or any form of dream/hdd combo.

i`ve been recording over 12 months to my pc with no problem at all using winserver. i playback with the pinnicle and the pic is excellate. i also have a 7025 with have and that works very, very well.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and order a 500c from DVB. I've had a browse around the forums and there seems to be alot of support for it. I've already the HTPC so it seems like a waste of money for the extra £150 in the 7025 option.

Thanks for the advice guys

Back