DreamBox Questions and Answers

X-PAC

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Q: What the hell is a dreambox?
A: It is a new German box, that is basically an updated version of the Dbox2.
Q: Whats better dreambox or dbox2?
A: DreamBox.
Q: Is there different images like with the dbox2, i.e. 1x and 2x?
A: No. There is only one image file for the Dreambox.
Q: Does it have to be in debug mode like the Dbox2?
A: No. No modifications are required.
Q: Where can i get a Dreambox from?
A: try google there are plenty of shops (if a shop wants advertising please use the contact us link at the bottom of the forum)
Q: There has been many problems with Dreamboxes power supply. What are they? And how do I address them?
A: Some Dreamboxes come with a 12v 1 amp power supply , this is very weak and may damage your dreambox, if you buy a dreambox buy a 12v with 3 amps power supply, as this will not cause problems and keep your box running longer. But check before you buy a new one.
Q: Does dreambox have interactive?
A: No, it doesn't have talkback.
Q: Can it view all channels that my pace 4000n can?
A: Yes.
Q: Can i view ppvs on it?
A: Yes untill ntl switch to vod.
Q: Will i be able to Watch vod on it?
A: Yes, it is possible to watch PPV when your area changes over to VOD. However, do NOT buy a dreambox purely to receive vod, as you may be disappointed.
Q: Are they illegal?
A: No as they aren't the cc's property, but if you use it to try and get free channels without paying then it becomes illegal.
Q: Is this box safe will the cc know im using it?
A: They can check for resistance on the end of your line.
Q: What box do i need if i am using cable in the U.K?
A: Dreambox DM500C. (C=cable, S=Satellite, T=Terrestrial)
Q: Will there be a dreambox with a hard drive in it?
A: Yes, there already is a Dreambox 7025 , it needs a few modifications before its ready to use on cable tv , and is capable of adding a hard drive on it. There is also a DM600C-PVR due for release which supports a 2.5" Hdd.
Q: The dreambox 7025 sounds great shall i get one?
A: In my opinion no! Wait a while till more is known about these boxes and a few people have them as support will be very limited if any.
Q: Do you need a viewing card for Dreambox?
A: No a viewing card is not required (certain channels may be encrypted but these tend to be on Sat).
Q: What else can the Dreambox do?
A: Stream video from your PC, record to your PC or NAS drive, Newsreader, Dreamnetcast (Internet radio played on Dreambox) and even Weatherforecasts.
Q: Can the DreamBox do everything a dbox2 can?
A: A dreambox does EVERYTHING a dbox2 can do, AND MORE! The dreambox is a more powerful receiver, with a 100mbps network connection (compared to 10mbps on a dbox), therefore providing better stability and faster access. It is 3 times smaller than a dbox but doesn't have an LCD display.
Q: Can i use some of the interactive services provided by the bbc and other companies who operate on freeview channels by plugging a normal aerial in the DreamBox aswell as the cable feed? Also can I view Teletext?
A:You cannot directly access 'interactive' services via the Dreambox, this may change though as you can upload 'plugins' to the box one such plugin answers your next question, yes you can access teletext via the 'tuxtext' plugin, not available on all channels and not quite as quick as normal text but teletext non the less.
Q: If i get a dreambox does it come with a card for the image or do you have to buy separate, and what else do i need for programming it?
A: You dont need a card. To program it you'll need a crossover cable and ideally a serial null modem cable as well as an image available from the downloads and a program to flash it such as Flashwizard Pro or Universal Dreamup. Both available from the downloads.
Q: I have heard of fake dreamboxes being sold, is this true , and how can i tell?
A: Yes this is true. Fake dreamboxes are being sold, for more ionformation on this go here
http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=63214
Q: Are there any new images coming out and will they be better than previous ones?
A: Yes. There are Gemini (Enigma) images and Neutrino images being released all the time. These will be updated as they come out.

These are a few questions everyone wants to know mainly me so ive done some research, plse correct if any are wrong ., and add to the questions, and for all us who know the answers plse answer

Last edited by a moderator:
1. A dreambox is a commercial version of the old DBOX2.... and is the new updated receiver. It is made by "Dream Multimedia", where as DBOX2 is made by Nokia, Sagem and Phillips.

2. A dreambox does NOT have interactive, as it does not have talkback. However, it does receive some BBC interactive services such as when there are special events on.

3. Yes, you can view all the channels that your pace 4000n can, and maybe a few more (i.e. data channels).

4. Front Row/PPV is available as normal on a dreambox.

5. Yes, it is possible to watch PPV when your area changes over to VOD. However, do NOT buy a dreambox purely to receive vod, as you may be disappointed.

6. The CC cannot know you are using the box unless they physically see it. It has no talkback, and produces no noise on the network.

7. For UK cable, you will need a dreambox DM500c. If you wanted a satellite box then you could use any version of the dreambox, including the new DM500-S.

err, i already answered them.
but thanks anywayz anyone got any more questions?

Thanks, if we get a few more questions i think this should be made a sticky so that people can easily get the answers they need without starting new threads.

Q - Do you need a viewing card for Dreambox?

A - No a viewing card is not required (certain channels may be encrypted but these tend to be on Sat)

Q - What else can the Dreambox do?

A - Stream video from your PC, Newsreader, Dreamnetcast (Internet radio played on Dreambox) and even Weatherforecasts.

Can the dreambox do EVERYTHING a dbox2 can do, if no what are the things it cant do?

A dreambox does EVERYTHING a dbox2 can do, AND MORE! The dreambox is a more powerful receiver, with a 100mbps network connection (compared to 10mbps on a dbox), therefore providing better stability and faster access.

X-PAC said:
Q: What the hell is a dreambox
A: It is a new german box, that is basically an updated version of the Dbox2
Q: Does dreambox have interactive?
A:No, it doesnt have talkback
Q: Can it view all chanells that my pace 4000n can?
A:Yes
Q: Can i view ppvs on it
A:Yes untill ntl switch to vod.
Q: Will i be able to Watch vod on it
A: Yes, it is possible to watch PPV when your area changes over to VOD. However, do NOT buy a dreambox purely to receive vod, as you may be disappointed.
Q: Is this box safe will the cc know im using it?
A: Ano unless they phiscally see it.
Q:What box do i need if i am using cable in the U.K
A: Dreambox DM 500-c
These are a few questions everyone wants to know mainly me so ive done some research, plse correct if im wrong as i got these from non guarenteed sources, and add to the questions, and for all us who know the answers plse answer

I was interested in your comment about watching VOD with a DreamBox. How is that possible? I have a one but as far as I know I can't watch VOD? thanks in advance.

ajones1722 said:
I was interested in your comment about watching VOD with a DreamBox. How is that possible? I have a one but as far as I know I can't watch VOD? thanks in advance.

Sorry, just found the answer to this in another thread.

ajones1722 said:
Sorry, just found the answer to this in another thread.

It does need a bit of setting up but yeah it's working fine for a few mates that have already gone VOD. Hope you manage to get VOD up and running on your dreambox m8 :)

Q: Can i use some of the interactive services provided by the bbc and other companies who operate on freeview channels by plugging a normal aerial in the DreamBox aswell as the cable feed? Also can I view Teletext?

X-PAC said:

You cannot directly access 'interactive' services via the Dreambox, this may change though as you can upload 'plugins' to the box one such plugin answers your next question, yes you can access teletext via the 'tuxtext' plugin, not available on all channels and not quite as quick as normal text but teletext non the less.

The Dreambox offers an EPG service which is MUCH better than normal CC offerings (in particular for Daily listings on a particular channel) the best feature really is that you are only limited by the box OS (Linux) so lots of things are available now and lots will be developed as support for the box grows.

Like the idea of streaming video over a network direct to a hard drive?

Dreambox

Like the idea of 'skinning' your own menus?

Dreambox

Like the idea of web based control of your tv/radio/files?

Dreambox

Nuff said..

Guys I have made this thread a sticky... feel free to post your questions and answers here for people to review :)

newbie questions

Im completely new to the dreambox so have a few questions
have set it up ok with help from here neutrino image running fine

thanks guys:Cheers:

seem to be getting all the channels ok apart from filmfour should i get this?

how if possible can i enter the frequency manually have tried a manual scan with the frequencies listed in a services.xml file i down loaded but getting nowhere.

can i load the services.xml file to the dreambox?
if so where does it go?
and will this find the missing channel?

are bouquets favourite lists?
where do you upload imported bouquets too?

thanks in advance

Hi Twitcher...yep you should be able to get F4 but the Neutrino image seems to be a little quirky with the manual scan I have not been able to get it running either. An auto scan should give you everything, does F4 show up in your channels list? if so select it then reset the cam, it may just have not updated correctly.

Are you in TW area? BTW F4 doesn't broadcast till 6pm but you should still get the 'trailers'

bouqets are like favourite lists, but ALL channels come in a bouquet, when you do your first scan an 'All Providers' bouqet is setup (Gemini) and you then select the channels to your own custom bouquet. This is pretty much the same for the Neutrino image.

Hi,

what is better for the long run... a dbox2 or a dream box?

If i already have a dbox2 is there any point getting a dreambox? Whats more likely to go off?

The Dreambox is all round better as it is newer, and as the dbox is older they'll probaly find a way to cut that off quicker as theyve been workin on it longer although if they did find away i think the dreambox would go off aswell, but dont worry that wont happen for a long time so ur best off getting a dreambox.

thanks x-pac, you think these will last for another 6 months? before the cc's do something?

Back