[Dreambox 800] Picture quality SD

adeelch1

Inactive User
Reaction score
does any body know if the new receiver gives a better picture with SD chanels coz my 500c gives very average pics on my hd tv

does any body know if the new receiver gives a better picture with SD chanels coz my 500c gives very average pics on my hd tv

It wont be noticable.Not enough to warrant the price tag anyway.
Digital is not always better,in fact it will show up imperfections ever worse.

ill say its good have an 800 and even tryed it throu the scart to see what it would be like and the pic was good you wount know till you try

Is the dreambox 800 hd? Because i remember hearing it was not going to be due to licencising problems.

Is the dreambox 800 hd? Because i remember hearing it was not going to be due to licencising problems.

yes,it sends to signal over a dvi-hdmi cable that is included,which is the exact same picture quality,as a regular hdmi-hdmi cable.

It is unusuall because usually a dvi-hdmi cannot carry sound but the dreambox can carry sound over dvi.

yes,it sends to signal over a dvi-hdmi cable that is included,which is the exact same picture quality,as a regular hdmi-hdmi cable.

It is unusuall because usually a dvi-hdmi cannot carry sound but the dreambox can carry sound over dvi.

Are you sure that it can carry sound over DVI as that does not seem correct to me

Are you sure that it can carry sound over DVI as that does not seem correct to me

yes.

Im not sure if it does audio over dvi-dvi
But it does audio over dvi-hdmi,the dreambox only has a dvi output.

The technology was introduced by ati years ago on their graphics cards.

Last edited:
but does it allow you to view hd channels? i.e bbc hd?

HD is the picture quality.

HDMI is a digital connector standard - which as well as mandating the size, shape and electrical signals travelling over the wires also mandates that the licensed users of HDMI make signals that can be encrypted with HDCP which is a DRM system (a bit like Apple's iTunes music or MS WMV video).

Signal wise the single channel digital video on DVI and HDMI are the same I believe and certainly a simple adaptor can attach one to the other.

Even boxes with Component analog output (such as say a first gen SkyHD box) which can put HD pictures down a non HDMI lead, in order to be HDMI compliant the boxes have to be able to turn HD OFF over the non HDMI connection if the signal coming into the box has the HDCP DRM set (and there are various settings).

This means if you are watching an HD channel not through an HDMI to HDMI connector then the TV company can turn off or down the HD quality if the box is HDMI/HDCP compliant. If you are watching that channel with a non HDMI licensed receiver then as I understand it you just won't get a picture as one or other device doesn't have the HDMI HDCP encryption chips built in.

TVs with the "HD Ready" logo all have to be HDMI compliant I think.

Signal receivers without an HDMI connector almost certainly won't have the HDCP system built in though some devices such as PC video cards CAN have HDCP but still will use a DVI connector for PC not TV use, and the same issue exists there too I think for monitors to need HDCP.

The Dreambox 800 IS HD and any signal it can get that doesn't rely on HDCP will I am sure be happily shown on a connected TV. What happens when HD recordings from Dream-boxes of movies shown, say on BBC HD start appearing and the BBC is put under pressure by the movie makers to use HDCP to DRM the broadcasts is a different issue.

So... the licensing issue is probably that no-one wanted to licence their HDMI/HDCP copy protection technology to a company with a set of products which is well known for having a thriving hacker community attached.

A.

any image will work well all the ones i have tryed and have to say the scan is very fast on it and picture is good

You would have thoght for the money you would have had 2 tuner slots so you can watch one channel while recording another (not on the same transponder).

HD is the picture quality.

HDMI is a digital connector standard - which as well as mandating the size, shape and electrical signals travelling over the wires also mandates that the licensed users of HDMI make signals that can be encrypted with HDCP which is a DRM system (a bit like Apple's iTunes music or MS WMV video).

Signal wise the single channel digital video on DVI and HDMI are the same I believe and certainly a simple adaptor can attach one to the other.

Even boxes with Component analog output (such as say a first gen SkyHD box) which can put HD pictures down a non HDMI lead, in order to be HDMI compliant the boxes have to be able to turn HD OFF over the non HDMI connection if the signal coming into the box has the HDCP DRM set (and there are various settings).

This means if you are watching an HD channel not through an HDMI to HDMI connector then the TV company can turn off or down the HD quality if the box is HDMI/HDCP compliant. If you are watching that channel with a non HDMI licensed receiver then as I understand it you just won't get a picture as one or other device doesn't have the HDMI HDCP encryption chips built in.

TVs with the "HD Ready" logo all have to be HDMI compliant I think.

Signal receivers without an HDMI connector almost certainly won't have the HDCP system built in though some devices such as PC video cards CAN have HDCP but still will use a DVI connector for PC not TV use, and the same issue exists there too I think for monitors to need HDCP.

The Dreambox 800 IS HD and any signal it can get that doesn't rely on HDCP will I am sure be happily shown on a connected TV. What happens when HD recordings from Dream-boxes of movies shown, say on BBC HD start appearing and the BBC is put under pressure by the movie makers to use HDCP to DRM the broadcasts is a different issue.

So... the licensing issue is probably that no-one wanted to licence their HDMI/HDCP copy protection technology to a company with a set of products which is well known for having a thriving hacker community attached.

A.

So basically im confused :proud: , So is what your saying is that at the moment if you have the correct cables and a hd ready tv the dreambox 800 will be able to produce hd channels, but it is not future proof, because its missing the hd or hdmi licence and doesnt have they decryption chips to decode the hd signal if they decide to encrypt it?

I dont think the ap is right.

hdcp is optional on dvi,its likely they have not implimented it,they arent stupid and know exactly what the box do
also,you are watching the channels,not recording them or trying to digitally copy the information they are sending,so I dont see what hdcp has got to do with it?

This is most likely the reason they were no granted a licence to use a hdmi cable and used dvi,to curcumvent the hdcp.

X-PAC,dont worry about hdcp or anything like that,I doubt it even has it.

If you have a hd ready tv,a hd cable going to the tv from the dreambox 800 and hd channels available in your area,then you will get hd pictures.

Last edited:

Yes definetily so...at first I thought that it can carry only Video..but when I removed the Scart connector..there was still the Audio track..apparentley therse is a .5 of Volt Audio signal (peak to peak) in the DVI Connector which is ample enough to drive any Audio circuit in a normal TV receiver. Besides this Audio out... there is also an Optical out connector for Dolby Digital sound.

Oh BTW the HD Channels are great espescially the suisse channel and Premier HD...and all the rest whether they are 1080i or 720p

Last edited:
I dont think the ap is right.

hdcp is optional on dvi,its likely they have not implimented it,they arent stupid and know exactly what the box do
also,you are watching the channels,not recording them or trying to digitally copy the information they are sending,so I dont see what hdcp has got to do with it?

This is most likely the reason they were no granted a licence to use a hdmi cable and used dvi,to curcumvent the hdcp.

X-PAC,dont worry about hdcp or anything like that,I doubt it even has it.

If you have a hd ready tv,a hd cable going to the tv from the dreambox 800 and hd channels available in your area,then you will get hd pictures.

Thanks for clearing that up, guess all ive got to do now is buy one, anyone know any good sites to get one from?

lol thanks scottyboy, i was only looking for a freeview version :sneaky:

sms have them if you google sms and the name of the box you will find a shop in the uk he is the main uk dealer they have them in stock

Back