[Dreambox 500c] Tuner modification?

Richy Freeway

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've got a 500c that barely picks up any channels. Apparently there was a batch of clones that came out of china in nov/dev 2007 with a known fault. My box is from around that time.

Someone told me that there used to be a fix for this and it was on here before the board refresh.

Anyone got any idea what it is?

First post !

Have you change the tuner driver from new to old or visa versa and tried a rescan ?

Yeah done all that. I've had a 100% working box running, copied everything off onto the non working box and still get the same results.

There's definitely a problem with the tuner. It's out of warranty due to the company I got it from closing down.

Doh!

The bad batch boxes resulted in a buzzing noise to which 2 chips were removed to cure this.Also of mention at the time is a batch of rogue boxes with duff tuners.

The duff batch was to do with noise on the output, not the tuner.

Don't know about the rogue clones, most likely made they way to flee bay.

Yellow brick signal booster would be the answer wouldn't it...?

if it is the same as a DM600, you can just drop a new tuner straight in?

If only !! its a soldered in tuner (in the clones) but you could modify an original and solder that in .

Just a thought I have just swoped out a tuner from a knackered clone to an original with a knackered tuner here the other day and now the original (with the clone tuner) works perfectly !

What i had to do was cut the legs @ board level on the clone and de'solder the 4 retaining legs to remove the tuner, then on the original (which was a plug and play tuner) just trim the clones contacts and push into the original then re'solder the retaining feet and thats it job done.

Last edited:
I had a go and replacing the tuner on a 500T with one from another box.
There was too much solder on the 4 retaining legs though,couldnt get it all off.
Will have another go though.

I had a go and replacing the tuner on a 500T with one from another box.
There was too much solder on the 4 retaining legs though,couldnt get it all off.
Will have another go though.

I use my solder pro120 with the heat pipe attachment for that.

Back