Dreambox 500c or 600 pvr

mercuryman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Have been looking into getting a 500c for a while now (currently have a eurovox but want something to have a play about with) but should I wait and get the new model thats due out soon.

Is it worth getting a model with a hard drive or can you record via a pc if you have it set up on a network.

Thanks

lagigolo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
With the 500 you can network it up and record direct to your pc's hard-drive. The advantage of networking it, is you will be able to play all music/films from your pc through your 500.

For portability I suppose an internal hard-drive would come in handy, you will still be able to network the new ones too.

Not sure when they are due out, so depends how long you have to wait.

Just had a look, 600's are black, very nice. They are shipping in 2 weeks and from £179, not much more than a 500 so would wait.

Last edited:

pacman362

Inactive User
Reaction score
In the info sheet that comes with the 500c they have a product catalogue and in there dream media are calling the new 1 the 500-pvr ! so not too sure myself if that will be the official relese name for the new replacement ? also you do not get the Hd with your new box (as usual) and it takes a 2.5" laptop drive not a normal 3.5" drive that most other pvr's take.

Just thought i would mention it incase you hav'nt seen the official booklet for youself.

lagigolo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right, managed to have a better readup and no hdd is fitted just the facility to add a notebook one. So worth weighing up the benefits.

Black does look nice though.

T4i

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Word is that the 500C will be going up in price very shortly.

Get them while you can.....

mercuryman

Inactive User
Reaction score
cheers guys. Still unsure what to do.

Will it be the same tuner in the 600 as the 500.
Have been reading a few threads and from what I understand if you have a weakish signal you may have probs with the 500.
If it is the same I may aswell take the plunge now with the 500, as I have two 250 Gb drives on my pc to be able to record to and portability isn't really an issue, especially if you have to splash out another 80 quid on top of the 180 for the box

Thanks again for your replies.

sherlock

Inactive User
Reaction score
cheers guys. Still unsure what to do.

Will it be the same tuner in the 600 as the 500.
Have been reading a few threads and from what I understand if you have a weakish signal you may have probs with the 500.
If it is the same I may aswell take the plunge now with the 500, as I have two 250 Gb drives on my pc to be able to record to and portability isn't really an issue, especially if you have to splash out another 80 quid on top of the 180 for the box

Thanks again for your replies.
Total new tuner for 600 will now be used for all plug and play tuner model receivers.

hummm

Inactive User
Reaction score
Wonder why the 500C is going up in price? If anything I thought it would be going down with the 600 coming out?

Got my 500C off ebay, later to find that it is likely to be a copy. I can't complain though it works fine and doesn't seem to have any signal issues.

Will be interesting to see how popular the 600 is.

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
they're stopping production of 500C's get one quick or wait a short while for the 600PVR :)

fisal

Inactive User
Reaction score
ive got a dm500 and its great

still havent worked out how to record to my pc though

i cant find a easy guide, i want to start from scratch, can any1 help

mercuryman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right then still undecided on whether to wait for the 600 or not.

Is there any real advantage to having a plug n play tuner.

scribblingchimps

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is the Dreambox 500 much better than a Nokia D-Box 2?

It seems to me you can do a lot of the same stuff on both.

sherlock

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right then still undecided on whether to wait for the 600 or not.

Is there any real advantage to having a plug n play tuner.

Yes m8 there is, you can buy a sat tuner as well as a cable , and change image and start looking into sat scene.

Being 12 volt as well can take with caravan with sat tuner.

fisal

Inactive User
Reaction score
dreambox is way easier to set up, and more stable than dbox

also theres loads of support here for the dreambox

TEST