download speed

tryf2

Inactive User
Reaction score
on 10m with v/m after speedtest between 1/2m
engineer at v/m ran cmd to netstat -f and a load of ip address from my torrent downloads were open
he said i need to throttle them?
im on unlimited download but after downloading 80g in a month traffic management is slowing down
any ideas please

yepp set up your torrents to run after 23:00 when no cap is in place

think it is between 16:00 and 22:00 you will be capped if you download more than a gig

there isnt such a thing as unlimiled download

thanks
i normally download early morn before my shift 5.00 and leave on till 2.00
only because its a bit faster than evening
i will try at night and switch off in the morn to see if it improves

sorry didnt mean to be so abrupt but sort of started to answer and then work rang :-(

if you using torrents what client are you using ? i still use utorrent for those difficult things to find, in utorrent you can cut down the bandwidth each torrent can use so you can keep seeding and downloading and then open it up once past dodggy times.

Virgin Media Broadband:Traffic management - & Traffic management

this page on virmin site explains their fair usage policy, on sales pages says unlimited but this shows its not really. it looks like its the 10 am to 3pm that is catching you.

i tend to use Rapidshare now and use a download manager that kicks in at 01:00 till 08:00 my link runs at full speed at those times with no capping.

I thought the capping went on till 2100 hours ?
I never download anything big untill after 9

On the 10mb service there are two caps,
1.5GB between 10am and 3pm
0.75 GB between 4pm and 9pm

If you go over either one then your speed is throttled to 75% for 5 hours, i.e. on a 10mb service, you will be throttled to 2.5mb.

You have unlimited downloads outside of those times.

If you want unlimited downloads all day then you will need to subscribe to the 50mb service.

thanks guys gives me a wee bit insight into something i didnt know much about
hatab i only ever use utorrent il just have to remember the time cap
cheers

Back