downgradeing xp to win98se

shawlynot

Inactive User
Reaction score
how wud i go on to this i seem to keep getting an error
ust want to see how my pc works on win98 and see it prefer it to xp many thanks to anyone tht can help

i think i read somewhere u can downgrade but only if u upgraded from win98 and u haven't deleted the uninstall files.

win98 takes up nowt in disk space, get an old 2 gig hdd and put in machine disconnect disk u have with xp.

win98 installs quicker than xp so shouldnt take to long to install.

if u have a very new m/board u will probably find u cant get all drivers for win98, check first on m/board web site.

u wont be able to down grade if as i suspect that u have xp installed as ntfs
as hatab has said get a small drive and install on that
but i would leave alone
98se is sh*te
and xp will leave it standing

yea but i want to see if my computer will run anyfaster on tht bcoz it lagging a lot at the min and i have scan for virus and spyware and nothing much came up so wat u think cud help me? i am running on 2.8ghz intel celeron 256ddr ram and only a little ****ing 40gd hd so any idea ppl

Downgrading from XP to 98 is no easy task unless you have another machine or drive you can boot from to actually format the drive first.

Are you running a lot of stuff? Celerons really don't take well to anything resource heavy even though they have a fast clock speed. Think of it as a Pentium as a pint glass and a Celeron as a bottle and they're holding the same amount of liquid and you have to pour it out. The liquid is going to come out at the same speed but not the same volume. Guess which one is faster?

yea i ain't got no other system but i think i will upgrade to a bigger hd and the pint is alot faster. wud putting xp 64bit on make any differance bcoz i have a couple of linkswud there b any point to it?

XP64 is designed for PC's using a 64 bit processor of which the Celeron you are using isn't one. Frankly, you're trying to run ever more complex OS's on a system that just isn't up to it. Either format the system and re-install Windows '98 and live with it else upgrade to Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 which will give you a significant increase in speed. The downside is compatibilty but hey, can't have everything.... :)

shawlynot said:
yea but i want to see if my computer will run anyfaster on tht bcoz it lagging a lot at the min and i have scan for virus and spyware and nothing much came up so wat u think cud help me? i am running on 2.8ghz intel celeron 256ddr ram and only a little ****ing 40gd hd so any idea ppl

It will be worth upgrding your ram - another 256 will (costs about 20 quid) and you will notice a huge difference.

you can do it if you wipe the mbr off your hard drive to do this remove jumper from back of hard drive and format in fat32 then replace jumper then install 98se but personally would stay with xp as a lot of newer stuff will not run properly on 98

Hmmm....Well first of all, as per everybodies advice, I wouldn't advise using Win98 now..too many security holes and not alot of support from MicroShaft.
You can't downgrade your installation of XP, unless you upgraded from Win98 and kept the FAT32 file system and kept the un-install files. Even if you have it's still very tricky, tried it once when I was first playing with XP..needless to say I gave up and did a clean install of XP....
More memory would be very good idea, 256mB is really the minimum you should run XP on, is your 256 in one stick or two? If it's in two make sure you've got them in the right slots to 'pair the memory up' (read mobo instuctions). If you've got a single stick of 256mB DDR, thats not a good way to run the system anyway, should always run DDR in pairs, so get yourself another stick of 256.
Right, next thing to look at is what do you have running in the background? What A/V are you running? Have you done a spy sweep with more than one proggy (I always use two)?
You could have a look at your start-up list (start, run, msconfig) and see if you've got stuff loading you no longer use or don't use often, just untick the box next to the line, most entries make sense, but if your not sure leave them alone, or look them up in google....
Have fun, let us know how you get on...
Phew!!! my fingers hurt now..-)lol :Cheers:

well guy my pc has speeded up! but bcoz i rebooted the how system bcoz it wud load up at all even in safe mode and i think i will just get some more ram as it is only on 1 card and i no it ain't much as my old pc had win me and tht had more ram but thanks anyways to all u guy!

Back