Dolby Atmos

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a full system with dolby atmos?

I have headphones with the ability and I'm impressed. What are your thoughts?

Had mine running since last year i do only have a 5.1.2 configuration but doe to the size of room thats fine as 4 ceiling speakers would have been overkill.

All i will say is out of all the Atmos movies i have watched only a few have really stood out with overhead effects as Dolby says they are really just an extension of the rear surrounds to make sound more convincing going from front to back.

DTS:X which is a similar system is a lot more aggressive in the use of ceiling speakers and have had zero complaints watching the odd one or two that have that track

Have you tried the movie 'Everest' in dolby atmos?

I do have that one but not got round to watching it again in Atmos.

The best 2 i have heard are the Original Blade Runner (1982) and Blade Runner 2049 they sound superb

Yeah I tried Blad runner 2049 and it was great. The only reason I mention Everest is that the dolby app has a 2-3 minute sample of Everest in Dolby atmos and it was absolutely amazing...

Just wondering if anyone got a Decent, moderately priced, dolby atmos/dts:x system from crimbo? I'm in the market for one but not sure if i should go for a sounbar or use the 5.1 speakers for my my logitech system and use a dolby atmos/dts:x receiver?

Will the receiver need an amp or is a receiver also part amp?

Was originally thinking about a Sony HTXF9000 soundbar and get some space back around my TV (the wires are serously starting to get outta hand lol!) I read the reviews and its an ok device on a budget. I wish i could afford the next sounbar up from that one as its one that you can build on by adding rear speakers.

Last edited:
I aint got a clue but many years ago i bought a yamaha soundbar +sub woofer but never got the same effect as a better 5-1 ,now 7-1 surround system in my main room.Sometimes ceiling speakers cant be used in situations but updating my klipsch speakers i would need to sell body parts.Maybe in 10 years time with upgrades from black and white tv to colour,scart to hdmi etc,dvd to bluray so whats next.I like big speakers as 12" is big enough for me but multiple 18" ones in the video wow.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You wont get a decent Atmos experience from either a Soundbar with Atmos built in or the Upfiring speakers, Believe me i have tried both and eventually installed in-ceiling speakers for the full effect

I found my logitech 5-1 that had bought for my pc and not used,but moved downstairs has a fantastic sound and hearing sound from all around the room and handy with a wooden floor.
My klipsch speakers center of room are 1" from ceiling and angled down but my rear ones are over what used to be a patio door now extension but have angled speakers.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If i want more sound i can also switch on my 5-1 games chair.

I know I'm probably crazy, I have a logitech z906 already but need to start to declutter and get rid of a few wires!

Only a few sure your grand i have cable city in my rooms and will have to label them all to remember what goes where and tipex on the plugs so as i know what this powers.Boxes of cables and plugs for unknown/forgotten items.

Hide wires as plenty of items around to do so,my biggest was speaker cable as thick as your thumb hidden under the floorboards in a 30 foot long room.

Just wondering if anyone got a Decent, moderately priced, dolby atmos/dts:x system from crimbo? I'm in the market for one but not sure if i should go for a sounbar or use the 5.1 speakers for my my logitech system and use a dolby atmos/dts:x receiver?

Will the receiver need an amp or is a receiver also part amp?

Was originally thinking about a Sony HTXF9000 soundbar and get some space back around my TV (the wires are serously starting to get outta hand lol!) I read the reviews and its an ok device on a budget. I wish i could afford the next sounbar up from that one as its one that you can build on by adding rear speakers.

Have got the Sony HT-ZF9, so the one up form the one you want but alas no rear speakers yet & it sounds fantastic, have tried a couple of DTS-X movies on it & the Jurassic Park is unbelievable. Hoping to get the rear speakers sometime next year.

You would wonder how good with only 3 speakers sound gets around the room?
My old yamaha ysp-900 has 21 loudspeakers and 2 boomers and could not get that full surround sounds.
I have to agree a bluray with ths/dts is vey very wow factor.Not upgraded to the next level with no wires lol

I have 7.4.2 Atmos setup.

7 (surrounds and LCR)
4 ceilings (height).
2 sub woofers (most important speakers in the system).

it's incredible, I have the Marantz 7012 (amazing amp) and an extra amplifier for the extra 2 Atmos channels, Marantz have just released the 7013 which looks a beast of a AV amp and does the whole lot. I pair that with B&W speakers.

Only have a few full Atmos UHD BluRay's. as this is the only way I can play the content.
My plex server and Nvidea shield just can't handle the decoding. I actually think its the server not the shield (but don't know and I'm not spending thousands on the new CPU'S.

I also have the Atmos Test Disk - this is awesome, and probably has the best interpretation of the Atmos surround as it takes a leaf full around you and at height.

Mick

Ok mick thanks for the invite be around on saturday with a spare pair of underpants thinking it will clear the crap out of me.

Just got a pioneer vsx 930, liking it but still setting up the speakers, got the ceiling ones to do at the weekend,

I have 7.4.2 Atmos setup.

7 (surrounds and LCR)
4 ceilings (height).
2 sub woofers (most important speakers in the system).

it's incredible, I have the Marantz 7012 (amazing amp) and an extra amplifier for the extra 2 Atmos channels, Marantz have just released the 7013 which looks a beast of a AV amp and does the whole lot. I pair that with B&W speakers.

Only have a few full Atmos UHD BluRay's. as this is the only way I can play the content.
My plex server and Nvidea shield just can't handle the decoding. I actually think its the server not the shield (but don't know and I'm not spending thousands on the new CPU'S.

I also have the Atmos Test Disk - this is awesome, and probably has the best interpretation of the Atmos surround as it takes a leaf full around you and at height.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Its certainly not the shield as i have one in a 5.2.2 setup and i get Full Atmos and DTS:X decoding from the shield no problem, i dont use plex i use Kodi and always have with 4K UHD rips fed from a NAS

Regards

Back