Dog de Bordeaux Vs Horse

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife took the dog over the reserve this morning and my dog decides to run off through a gap in the bushes to investigate a horse with her foal

well the horse wasn't too impressed and started rearing up, dog didnt like that so started barking and getting too close

horse was kicking like mad understandably defending her foal

my dog got kicked in the mouth, side of head and back end :( mouth is all swollen, eye is cut underneath but the back end looks ok

just off to the vets now as they want to xray his head and check him over

daft dog ;)

Lucky dog - hope he's okay M8.

Dogs and horses usually need training to mix well and the dogs usually come off worst if there's a issue.

Horses can be territorial regarding their paddocks, even the most placid will investigate an interloper.

The wife took the dog over the reserve this morning and my dog decides to run off through a gap in the bushes to investigate a horse with her foal

well the horse wasn't too impressed and started rearing up, dog didnt like that so started barking and getting too close

horse was kicking like mad understandably defending her foal

my dog got kicked in the mouth, side of head and back end :( mouth is all swollen, eye is cut underneath but the back end looks ok

just off to the vets now as they want to xray his head and check him over

daft dog ;)

Daft dog?, seriously mate buy a long lead. I sincerely hope your dog is ok. Lessons should be learned from this story. Sorry to be negative. :(

after speaking to the wife more it would seem my dog body language was playful towards the horse (bowing/tail wagging) but in no way do we blame the horse, as said earlier my dog approached them and the horse was protecting her foal :)

We have a 3m lead that we used when we first got him and used that until we felt confident he would recall after some training :) and he dose recall :) but he is a young dog and likes to investigate, and on this occasion didn't want to listen and come back

Tbh he is not a aggressive dog (although protective) but we would've put his lead on if we had seen the horse first but we are happy to let him wander off the lead over this area and he dont usually wonder too far from our side :)

just one of those things tbh could've happened to any dog and any given time

anyway dog if fine :) swollen lips and red raw, cut under the eye is not too deep and no limping from the back legs :) vet's just provided some pain relief

hope your dog gets better mate! :)

i love those dogs,
reminds me of that movie turner and hooch lol!

hey, hows the dog getting on mate?

He is doing very well @saj1985 thanks for asking :)
if it wasn't for the fat lip and cut eye you wouldn't know anything had happened behaviour wise :)

They are a tough breed (although you dont want harm to come to them) they must be able to take a knock

We do know the Dogue de Bordeaux was used as a guardian, a hunter, and a fighter. They were trained to bait bulls, bears, and jaguars; hunt boars; heard cattle; and protect the homes, butcher shops and vineyards of their masters. The Dogue de Bordeaux were prized as protectors

Last edited by a moderator:
Back