Does dreambox require debug?

apintofmilk

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying myself a nokia dbox but have had a look at the dreambox and it seems to be the better buy (not much more expensive than the reconditioned dboxes on egay). I was looking at www.dvb-onlinestore.com as suggested by X-PAC. One question I do have is this:

Does the dreambox require to be put into a debug mode before loading images to it?

No you just ftp the image of your choice to it, either Gemini or Neutrino. Just remember that you are getting a brand new box with the Dream and not a second hand one that could be up to 5 years old as with the Dbox2. The Germans in my view r ripping us off as the prices are going up all the time (due to supply and demand or so they say)...I say shuv em up ya kaizer. Go for the Dream.

Dingodog said:
No you just ftp the image of your choice to it, either Gemini or Neutrino. Just remember that you are getting a brand new box with the Dream and not a second hand one that could be up to 5 years old as with the Dbox2. The Germans in my view r ripping us off as the prices are going up all the time (due to supply and demand or so they say)...I say shuv em up ya kaizer. Go for the Dream.

Completly agree.... the dreambox is fortunate to have a large following in the UK/US and Australia now so more and more stuff is coming out, the dbox has seen it's hey day...

Around Feb 2006 the new DM 500 (with PVR / Hard Drive) will arrive and it's going to have 'pluggable' tuners so you can have Sat/Cable/FTA all in one little box...

Dreamboxes are a 'commercial version' (if you like) of the DBOX2. Whereas the DBOX was originally handed out for free in Germany to Pay-TV subscribers, the dreambox is a commercial product that was been manufacturered for a profit.

The DBOX was never meant to be modified, and as standard could only execute signed software. The box had to be put into 'debug mode' to override the pre-coded set of instructions and allow us to boot unsigned linux images.

Fortunately, the dreambox does not have the need to execute 'signed software only', because it was not originally intended to be given out to Pay-TV customers. Therefore debug mode is not required.

Liam

OOOhhh

Around Feb 2006 the new DM 500 (with PVR / Hard Drive) will arrive and it's going to have 'pluggable' tuners so you can have Sat/Cable/FTA all in one little box...
OOOhhh I can't wait, it makes me wanna:SSEXY: LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back