does anyone want a free jamma cabinet? ideal for mame

bigeasy_uk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all I have a spare jamma cabinet that would make a great mame cab. Free to a good home, you just have to collect it from coventry.

Ohhhhh FFS!!!!

WHY DO I ALWAYS BL***Y miss these things!!!

This is me.....

http://www.tombstones.org.uk/index.php?page=12

to say im into MAME is a BIG Understatement!!!!

I was in at the beginning of MAME and used to burn CDs for fellow emu like people for free :proud: I was a GOD back then.... look at me now lol

Oh well, if you change your mind Purity, let me have first dibs please, Im royally pi$$ed I missed this :(

Chris

Ohhhhh FFS!!!!

WHY DO I ALWAYS BL***Y miss these things!!!

This is me.....

http://www.tombstones.org.uk/index.php?page=12

to say im into MAME is a BIG Understatement!!!!

I was in at the beginning of MAME and used to burn CDs for fellow emu like people for free :proud: I was a GOD back then.... look at me now lol

Oh well, if you change your mind Purity, let me have first dibs please, Im royally pi$$ed I missed this :(

Chris

I know what you mean fella! I'm usually the one that misses out on these opportunities, so was glad when I was the first replier to this one.

I've been after a Jamma cab for ages now. I'd like to use it as a Jamma cab rather than converting it to Mame, but I'm also into Mame in a big way.

I hope you manage to pick one up yourself.

Hopefully I'm going down on saturday to pick this one up.

A big thanks to bigeasy_uk for supplying me with a free Jamma cab, plus I was able to buy a couple of JPM gameboxes off him, and a few other bits, to have a play with.

It was a bit of a struggle getting everything in the van, especially with the JPM's being incredible heavy, but we got there in the end, only slightly breaking his patio doors trying to get them out of the house!

I'd also like to thank Highlander who gave me a hand getting the cabs out of the van in Manchester. It seemed a hell of a lot easier unloading the van than loading it for some reason!

Both top fellas and a credit to the forum. Cheers guys

I'll try and post some progress on the cabs as I go along. The fun now begins trying to get them to work :)

Last edited:
only took us 5 mins to get all 3 out of van and into garage,
good job you had those wheels to make it easier.

and yes, they are heavy machines.

always happy to help, you know me.

see you later.

An update on what I've discovered so far.

The first JPM box: -

I've powered on the first JPM box and just get a buzzing noise from monitor and no signal on screen. I can clearly see that the touchscreen overlay on the box is damaged. So it ultimately looks like the monitor is kaput

Ok hopefully the internal PC is ok?

Hooray - The PC powers up, but no signal on a working monitor!?! Hmmmm. The harddrive seems to be ok as I can here it spinning and reading the data. I hope that I can change the graphics card and all will be well.

Damn! I take a look at the motherboard (a gigabyte) and can immediately see bulged/semi burst capaitors. Bollox! The motherboard is fragged aswell :)

Oh well. So I've stripped out the PCI, ISA cards, harddrive, DVDrom, dongle, memory etc out of the machine. I'll test to see if these components work individually.

It will be interesting to see if I can get this working on another motherboard. However I'm going to have to find one (preferably a gigabyte board) with ISA slots, which in itself is going to be difficult.

I'll take a look at the Jamma Cab later and post the results

The second JPM gamebox:

Power on the cab. Excellent the monitor works and the touchscreen overlay looks ok. Result.

The PC powers up and I can see the bios. However I'm getting some kind of motherboard error that I'll need to look into. I then get the "No system disk" error and can immediately tell that the harddrive is screwed because it's making some serious grinding noises.

The motherboard on this one is incased in some shielding and has some weird screws so I can't examine the motherboard at this stage, so do not know if it has any bulged capacitors, but this is deffo looking more promising :)

Last edited:
The Jamma Cab:-

I power it on and.....nothing. Silence :)

Having almost zero experience of Jamma cabs I ask around on a few dedicated forums to find out possible issues:

1) Power supply

Ok, might be the power supply. I get the multimeter out and test the outputs on the supply. A few of them are slightly high but it looks fine. I do notice that there is an adjustment screw that has been pushed in on the PSU, and will need to be pushed back out.

I'm stumped now as the power supply seems fine. So I take a a few pictures of the inside of the cab and post them on the forums. Whilst I'm taking the pics I notice a missing fuse from the right hand side of the monitor.

2) Monitor

Lots of replies on the forum with suggestions. Someone immediately points out that there are missing parts, hence why I'm not getting anything:) First of all a missing fuse at the side of the monitor :) Second the monitor has a missing control board. Without the control board nothing will be displayed on the monitor.

Ok, so I find a source for the missing parts and am now waiting to recieve them. Whilst I'm waiting I take the power supply off to fix the voltage adjustment screw that has been bent out of place. I carefully take it to bits and bend the screw back. I hear something snap - not good! Everything looks ok. I put the power supply back together and test the voltages again. Oh dear, I'm not getting the voltages I expect anymore. I think I've bust the PSU!

Back on to the net. I find a supplier of Jamma PSUs. Ordered one and will wait for that to arrive aswell.

Having almost zero experience of Jamma cabs I ask around on a few dedicated forums to find out possible issues:

1) Power supply

Ok, might be the power supply. I get the multimeter out and test the outputs on the supply. A few of them are slightly high but it looks fine. I do notice that there is an adjustment screw that has been pushed in on the PSU, and will need to be pushed back out.

I'm stumped now as the power supply seems fine. So I take a a few pictures of the inside of the cab and post them on the forums. Whilst I'm taking the pics I notice a missing fuse from the right hand side of the monitor.

2) Monitor

Lots of replies on the forum with suggestions. Someone immediately points out that there are missing parts, hence why I'm not getting anything:) First of all a missing fuse at the side of the monitor :) Second the monitor has a missing control board. Without the control board nothing will be displayed on the monitor.

Ok, so I find a source for the missing parts and am now waiting to recieve them. Whilst I'm waiting I take the power supply off to fix the voltage adjustment screw that has been bent out of place. I carefully take it to bits and bend the screw back. I hear something snap - not good! Everything looks ok. I put the power supply back together and test the voltages again. Oh dear, I'm not getting the voltages I expect anymore. I think I've bust the PSU!

Back on to the net. I find a supplier of Jamma PSUs. Ordered one and will wait for that to arrive aswell.

good luck with this project m8 ive always fancied a arcade in my passage way to blank the misses in the sitting room lol think id have to buy a working one though as im poop at electrics

good luck with this project m8 ive always fancied a arcade in my passage way to blank the misses in the sitting room lol think id have to buy a working one though as im poop at electrics

Thanks mate. I'm not an expert in electrics myself.

I've got a bit scared recently reading about monitors. They can retain charges of 5000V without being plugged in, and you if you take the monitor out and drop it accidentally, the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) is a bit like a bomb. It will implode first before it chucks fragments of razor sharp glass upto 30 feet.

if you take the monitor out and drop it accidentally, the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) is a bit like a bomb. It will implode first before it chucks fragments of razor sharp glass upto 30 feet.

drop it when next door is coming up her path then m8 LOL

Yeah very good plan m8!

I've now found a security screwdriver to get the housing off the second JPM box and guess what - bulged capacitors on the motherboard!! Nooooooooooo!

1) Power supply

2) Monitor

Recieved the parts I needed in the post - The missing fuse, the control boarda and a new PSU. Fitted all the parts last night and hey presto, this morning, power to the monitor, but nothing else!?!?!?!

Switched off and had a look at the Jamma to MVS connection - it was loose. Tightened it up and switched on again. Still nothing on the monitor BUT I'm getting sound from the game! This is more promising!

I sought help on some dedicated forums and they suggested adjusting the pots of the control board. I turned the first pot and switched on. YES I can see something on screen!

Several hours later and lots of pot adjustments I now have a working Puzzle Bobble Neo Geo Jamma Cabinet!

Last edited:
It's nice to see the machine up and running, not sure about the footy game though, puzzle bobble is great fun. I just bought metal slug 2 for my new cabinet, hopefully it will arive by tuesday.

It's nice to see the machine up and running, not sure about the footy game though, puzzle bobble is great fun. I just bought metal slug 2 for my new cabinet, hopefully it will arive by tuesday.

I agree. Puzzle Bobble is a great game, but I have it on my Mame Cab, and Euroleague is one of my favourite arcade games of yester year, and it doesn't work 100% on Mame

The Metal slug series are brilliant games!

Back