Dodgy Boxes!

VTEC_ECK

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am absolutely raging.. Sent 2 boxes back to germany to 'Ralf Baden' As they both had faulty tuners. He told me he sent 2 replacements and assured me they were not thje same boxes as i was dubious when he said one of them was ok. Anyway, recieved the 2 boxes today, flashed both ok and scanned both for channels. One doesn't work at all and the other freezes every 5 mins. I am very unhappy as i have already paid to have the 2 boxes sent back and Have now had them replaced with another 2 pieces of useless sh*t! I have already emailed the seller expressing my disgust and would advise anyone thinking of dealing with this seller to refain completely, but can anyone think of anything i can do to try and revive any of these boxes before i decide to just claw all of my money back from my credit card as i have had it up to the eyeballs.

Apologies, rant over.

Andrew

i know but these were already replacements for boxes that were faulty the first time. I',m gutted!

Ok...how exactly do they not work? Are they Sagems or Nokias?

Try changing the ucodes on the one that freezes.

Check the signal values...info here.

Let us know how you have already tried to sort your problems.

Sagems mate. Dont know much about u codes. what difference should this make? I know the other one is definitely fooked as it has the same symptoms as the other faulty tuner'd boxes i've had. What can i do to the u codes tohelp this problem?

The ucodes are the drivers for the graphics chips inside your box. Changing to a more compatable ucode might stabalise the quality and stop it freezing!

Press the BLUE button...
Sportster Menu
Try and find Hardware Settings then Ucode Selection.
The greyed one is the active one. Try one of the others, i.e. 0014 or 001A.

How do you know the other box has a faulty tuner?

The message i get when tuning to any channel is 'Channel not available' or somtething like that and i was told this indicated a faulty tuner as the channels were there but just not available.

Press the Red button then Blue and post the BER, SNR & SIG values.

Can you ftp to the box and see if you have a services.xml file in /var/tuxbox/config/zapit

Dont know how to do it mate.. never been able, can flash the boxes using IFA then just scan them.,. never had any problems with any of the nokias, only every sagem bar one! Will give what you said a bash tomoro, off to my bed just now, start a new job in the morning

I think there's a moral to this story here...don't buy Sagems...lol

Right m8...check the readings & find out how to ftp to the box. All the info is in here, just have a wee search about! Post back if you still can't get it. There's a good possibility that the boxes are ok...they just need a bit of TLC to get them going!

VTEC_ECK. I know the feeling mate.. very same thing happened to me...except the reply I got was " I cannot understand it...only 1 in 5000 Dbox`s do not work"... and these also came from Germany.

if they are sagems use gavs latest image and remember to follow the instreuctions for sagem boxs give it a try

Did you change the settings in misc. for the Sagem ?This often cures freezing boxes. Channel not available can also happen if the Ucodes are wrong ( I have had this happen to me). If all has not been tried then on the first lot then maybe there was nothing wrong with the orignal boxes you had? I had a box that I had all but given up on and Gav's image plus the changing of all the Sagem settings and a different Ucode and now the box is fine

Did you try a valid services.xml and bouqets.xml for your area.
Did you try ucode version 001A.
Did you check the boot log.

A corrupt services file can also give the 'channel not available' error.

Also try a fta channel, i.e. ITV, BBC1 then reboot the box.

devilfish said:
Press the Red button then Blue and post the BER, SNR & SIG values.
Can you ftp to the box and see if you have a services.xml file in /var/tuxbox/config/zapit

Tried this several times, using gav's latest image. none of the info above is there and every time i do it the box resarts itself:mad:

devilfish said:
Press the BLUE button...
Sportster Menu
Try and find Hardware Settings then Ucode Selection.
The greyed one is the active one. Try one of the others, i.e. 0014 or 001A.

Tried this, no option for hardware settings or U code selection, spent another 10 mins looking elsewhere for this but no luck. Managed to find out it is running on u code 001A, but not how to change it. Also as soon as i do this the sound and picture stop after a couple of seconds and the box then automatically either swithches itself off or restarts; no button on the remote has any effect on this and it does it every time:mad: :mad: :mad:

Where is this option?

The one box that kinda works seems to work fine for about 10 mins, the picture then starts to flicker and it then freezes completely and wont work untill re-started only to do it all over again. Also had the problem of any channel that was tuned to having vertical green lines all across the screen which wouldn't go away untill restarted too.

The other box just does nothin, it scanned ok and picked up loads of channels but as soon as you try to tune into one the error message "channel not available" is shown:Cry:

Please help me guys as this is really getting me down now. If i manage to get these boxes working it will be the last as i simply cannot afford to lose any more money or hair to what i thought would be a nice hobby.

Any help, advice or diagnosis greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Can you try changing these settings...from Gavs post!

for sagem 1x or 2x do the following

press dbox...settings...misc...enable enx watchdog on... also hardware sections off...back... red to save settings back to tv

now

blue...blue...yellow...3...green...blue
then back to title hardware settings then yellow...red asks to restart press yes/ja

hope that does it for you all check it out after restart

I think the hardware settings may be under....BLUE > Sportster > System Menu > Hardware Settings > Ucode Selection.

I've only ever had one Sagem but if it's Gavs image it should be the same menus.

egi1234
This guy has been recamended on here before but i have just got a box off him and i must say his email contact is super fast and he seems a very genuine bloke.

devilfish said:
Can you try changing these settings...from Gavs post!
for sagem 1x or 2x do the following
press dbox...settings...misc...enable enx watchdog on... also hardware sections off...back... red to save settings back to tv
now
blue...blue...yellow...3...green...blue
then back to title hardware settings then yellow...red asks to restart press yes/ja
hope that does it for you all check it out after restart

I think the hardware settings may be under....BLUE > Sportster > System Menu > Hardware Settings > Ucode Selection.
I've only ever had one Sagem but if it's Gavs image it should be the same menus.

I've removed the modems And applied the above settings, i also changed the Ucode on the box that was not working at all and i am very pleased to say that both boxes now seem to be working : tosser : although i have not properly tested them. Thanks for ll your help guys, could not have done it without you:Cheers:

I would also like to retract my comment about the seller in question as i was a bit quick to jump to conclusions. I now realise that one of the boxes i sent back may have been ok but the other one was addmitedly (by the seller) faulty.

Anyhow... Thanks again guys and keep up the good work..

Andrew

Back