Do you use your Superhub as a Modem?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just wanting to know what you all do with your Virgin Superhubs?

Do you use them as a Modem or are you happy for them to be used as a router?

If you use your superhub as a Modem only what router are you using instead?

Regards
Mick

use mine as router in modem mode you can only use one Ethernet i'm use three Ethernet ports

have the superhub 1 and use a wifi booster for rest of family, really need to call and ask for the superhub 2 for better wireless

Used to use the original superhub in modem mode with the router being the Tenda n60 but i now have the superhub 2 and the wifi connection (which was what was giving me problems on the original) seems to be ok now.

Superhub2 as a router for me too, negligible issues.
HH.

Superhub2 as router too. :) seems okay although wifi range ain't as great as it could be. Duel band is cool tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

using superdooper hub 2 in router mode.

i did have issues with wifi dropout a while back, problems sorted themselve out??

Using it in modem mode with a W2K12 server running RRAS as my router. I'd actually be happy enough using it as a router but something in my network is causing it continuously reboot, I'm guessing its the workload from the server.

use mine as router in modem mode you can only use one Ethernet i'm use three Ethernet ports

Same as bobby @Mick, I have a 5 port gigabyte switch attached mine to get more ports, I found the router on the Virgin Super hub is shite, would not connect to my Synology NAS or network Printer and kept dropping wireless signal to laptops and phones, I have a Netgear Router on mine and works flawless (kiss of death lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
The wifi on Superhub 1 is dreadful and my VOIP device would not work. Got the Superhub 2 which does not have these issues, so used as router. (Both are gigabit routers)

Super Hub 1 in modem only mode with a Cicso WRT320n attached running dd-wrt.

Superhub 1 with a tenda n60. The superhub 1 and 2 are pretty naff IMHO . The tenda is ok but can be twitchy on certain fw versions

I use the superhub 2 as wifi router and reboot it about once a months, just got into routine of doing it this way so keep doing it, superhub 2 is a lot better than first one that came out but still not as good as old white Netgear router they gave out.

You can upgrade SH1 to SH2. I did mine about 2 months back and just had to pay £6 delivery. No issues so far. Good thing is as its dual, you can connect newer devices on 5 Ghz and older ones on 2.4 Ghz.

I don't trust the SH with anything more than being a modem. I don't use wireless at all.

I have an old 100Mb router and I use one of these Gb switches although the RJ-45s are inline in my model.

ebuyer.com/482016-sg100-16-16-port-gigabit-switch-in-sg100-16-uk

I'll have to upgrade my ancient Netgear router at some point as I think it might introduce latency when I get upgraded to 100Mb.

EDIT

I realise a few people have issues with SH that require a reboot, in modem mode I've never needed to reboot mine even with heavy use.

When I first received the SHv1 a few years back I couldn't get a signal with the unit next to my lappy so I used it in modem mode with a Buffalo router flashed with tomato. The Buffalo died after a year or two so had to go back to the SH as a router. It was o.k. with occasional reboots but the range wasn't great in my house so I use a homeplug with a TP-Link TL-WR702N on the other end to extend the range to the rest of the house.

has anyone complained about the wireless range on the Superhub and got the Superhub 2 for free, no postage? I'm on 60mb at the moment until the upgrade and the wi-fi signal is dire

has anyone complained about the wireless range on the Superhub and got the Superhub 2 for free, no postage? I'm on 60mb at the moment until the upgrade and the wi-fi signal is dire

I have complained about the wireless range on SH1 and 2.

i was told that the wifi feature is free and therefore not gaurenteed lol

Thanks all, some good information in this post.

So basically if you pay for the postage they WILL send you the superhub 2 ?

Regards
Mick

Back