do you get DLA while in the jail ???

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
just wondering, might sound like a stupid question to some people, but, does someone whos getting paid DLA money for life from the social security, do they still continue to get paid that money if they were to get a jail sentence ?? I know it sounds like a no brainer question but i have people saying that the person would still legally continue to get the dla payments, i cant see how that would be legal, maybe it is, i dunno.

Does anyone know for sure for sure 100% ?

i dont know if they do, but they shouldnt get anything benefits wise while inside

i dont know if they do, but they shouldnt get anything benefits wise while inside

thats what i thought too, but like i say, iam hearing conflicting things about this and trying to find out for someone for sure, i know that DLA isnt means tested but i wouldnt imagine that would mean that you can continue to get payments ?

Pretty sure they would mate as it is not a DWP benefit as such, You can get DLA and work.

Its to help living with a dissability so if they needed extra help while inside then that would be what it would be used for.

just wondering, might sound like a stupid question to some people, but, does someone whos getting paid DLA money for life from the social security, do they still continue to get paid that money if they were to get a jail sentence ?? I know it sounds like a no brainer question but i have people saying that the person would still legally continue to get the dla payments, i cant see how that would be legal, maybe it is, i dunno.

Does anyone know for sure for sure 100% ?

I Googled "DLA+Prison" and found this

DLA is suspended while on remand. If found not guilty DLA will be reinstated from the date you went on remand. If found guilty, even for a suspended sentence, you are dissqualified for the enire period of your sentence.

Well you can't get DLA if you are in hospital for over 4 weeks, so I guess it's the same with being in prison.

ahhh, so it looks like dla isnt getting paid to someone sentenced then, eh ?

you dont get any benifits in prison . if i remember rightly you can borrow £2.50 of them wen you get in there to buy smokes toiletries etc etc , and u have to pay them back wen you get a job working inside the prison ie kitchens, cleaning laundrie etc etc . working in the kitchens best paid job bout 4.50 a week or sommit.

regards robby .

It used to be years ago that the prison service and the brew never communicated so it was possible to get DLA etc and still be banged up, not nowadays they are interlinked so the answer is no, they cannot do it anymore.

And rightly so too..............

yea thats what i thought too, didnt think it was right and the person will only get themself's deeper in trouble if they continue to get the payments, suppose the good thing is though they cant spend it while inside anyways, so they could always pay it back if caught out like the last poster says, lol

Back