DM600 and USB-RS232 null modem cable

kirit lingham

Inactive User
Reaction score
Afternoon forum,

Got a random question. Not sure if it belongs here, but (to the forum mods) please move if necessary.

I'm looking for a RS232 null modem cable with USB connection. I've purchased a few previously to flash the DM600 when using Dreamup. However, these have never worked.

I have a laptop running on Win 7 which of course wont have RS232 connections anymore. So I currently flash using a PC tower using Win XP, as the motherboard has the RS232 built in. However, the tower wont last forever. So, I'm assuming there must be a few reliable places selling cables, for this purpose, which do work.

Any suggestions forum?

Mr D Oji

DW Member ++
Reaction score
you can get usb/rs232 adapters, notoriously flakey but with the correct driver i have got them to work in the distant past:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Ferret

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you have a Desktop PC id suggest a Rs232 PCI/E card these are a proper com port when installed. If you have a Laptop i suggest a pcmcia rs232 card again a proper comport.

Both will cost less than a tenner and for a sat enthusiast worth there weight in gold.

manic01

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of those cards only good for 2000/xp etc, need to make sure you get correct one.

kirit lingham

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. Gives me a great starting point.

Can anybody recommend any reputable sellers of pcmcia rs232 card for win 7?

Mr D Oji

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. Gives me a great starting point.

Can anybody recommend any reputable sellers of pcmcia rs232 card for win 7?
if your thinking about using laptop make sure it has a pcmcia interface before you get one, all lappys used to have one, these days not so common.

kirit lingham

Inactive User
Reaction score
Yep, the Toshiba laptop has a spare slot. Only 1 slot, not like the old days when i had 2 slots on the dell laptop.

Found some cards on amazon which list win 7 compatibility

thanks forum

TEST