DM500 flash changed sucess ->almost

phester

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok after a long time of trying i finally got a box that would not flash over null modem but had the normal hyperterminal boot sequence back to life. Both of the boxes have had the jtag bootloader onto them both are of different types however only the alps tuner will allow the box to boot.

After moving the flash from one box to another the box is now booting. still has the problem with null modem comms not allowing flash. but now the tuner (manual scan option) is gone from the menus. no signal

I could do a flash wizard pro attempt to flash the box but my guess is that this does not over write the bootloader which may be incorrect.

I have not found a different bootloader for different types of tuner sat - cable etc

anyone shine any info on any small part of this

your commport settings in device manager might need looking at.try editting them to 115200, 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit & no flow control.

i think im well past comm port config. yes i know it should be 115k etc. dreamup would never work on the first box i had. would freeze after box type dm500. you wil have to read up on some of my older posts to find out more about the history

I am bow trying to change the bootloader typer in the dos jtag. on the old box only alps would work. now they all apperar to work. i am wodering if the bootloader is actually being written onto the chip.

in relation to the scanning options did you try change the tunner type?

i think im well past comm port config. yes i know it should be 115k etc. dreamup would never work on the first box i had. would freeze after box type dm500. you wil have to read up on some of my older posts to find out more about the history

I am bow trying to change the bootloader typer in the dos jtag. on the old box only alps would work. now they all apperar to work. i am wodering if the bootloader is actually being written onto the chip.

sorry m8 missunderstood your post. just trying to help.

the option to even scan for transponder is removed from the menus. its strange. anyway i may have broke it now. again. ill have to try to see if i can reload teh bootloader again tomorrow but i will have to do some resistor changing as i have now lost the pads and now the top of the resistor (ive done alot of jtaging)

sig was 0 ber = 0... my understanding is it does not know how to controll the tuner

Watch out,illegal cable,lol.

Jim Carrey is on the case,or someone similar,no more free cable,we're all doomed.
[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B6A5QnnQAUc[/ame]

Hi Phester

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you can't flash this DM500 via the serial port ? If this is the case why don't you ftp either the DW.img or a backup DW.img (From another DM500) then use the Telnet command ( cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot ) via the command Prompt on your PC. The whole process only takes 2/3 mins. Don't forget if you have the Gemini Maxvar image on this box you will need to do a Factory Reset after the process, then if it is a Backup (From another DM500) run the whole process again otherwise only Free To Air will work.

Regards

Wizard

yes i tired that but the cause of all this is by swapping the flash chip from a dead box i got my unflashable corrupt flashed box back to life.

I have tried the ftp method. all went well but the whole problem is that there is no option in the PLI image now to scan for channels. no signal no ber. its as if the box did not recognize the tuner type so did not compile the options in the menu.

Anyway to make a long story short I have now tried to jtag other bootloaders onto the box and now I have a no boot again.

Tonight I will try and get it back to serial comms working (still can not connect with any version of dreamup) and now because I have ruled out the flash chip as being the cause. I will try and change the RS232 chip.

It may be tx but no rx.

Hi Phester

I Understand wot you are saying. Just as a matter of interest, did the PLI image contain the service file for cable ? Just a thought.

Regards

Wizard

yes on both occasions.

the donar flash chip came from a working box with pli on it. all files were there.

I tired copying over the files anyway lo success

Then i did a backup from flash wizard pro from my working identical box hoping that it would take the bootloader too and flashed it to the semi working box.

No difference. menu options are missing. signal levels are all 0

If nothing else show up by tonight i am just going to try and see if it is a rs232 problem. those resistor banks are in a bitch of a location though

when i was missing my scanning options from dw 2.0 i changes the tunner type had to change to new from old and got back my scan options and the bouquets i was missing

Last edited:
after alot of hard work and much distroyed jtag contact points. I can confirm that the box is at least now breathing. I found a bootloader that works.

THe comms issue I have also solved too. I changed the serial comms chip near the rca o/p. it made sense that if i could watch a normal startup but dreambox would not inturrupt the boot to inject the bootloader. then it must not be receiving anything from the pc. i changed the IC with alot of heat. melted most of the plastic work. not even capton tape would save it. now i have full comms. just uploaded a full image. tuner is saying it has good signal. I must now make a copy of a working image that i have (rom fix) and see if that will work on the (fingers cross) fixed box :BLOBBY:

Back