dm500 EPG can it be improved

mickbrush

Inactive User
Reaction score
As the title says is there a way to improve the epg on these boxes. The 500 box is a fantastic little machine with only one problem and thats the lack of a decent epg. I beleive this is bue to the very small internal memory and know that some people use a mounted drive to load epg from a networked PC.

Is there no posability to increase the memory on this box or add a internal usb port so a usb stick could be used.

I am actualy quite suprised that none of the clone manufacturers have tryed to do somthing to improve this box.

If anyone has any any ideas i will use my dm500 boxes to experiment on

43 views and no replys i gues this is a non starter then.

Dont think a hardware mod is viable....clone manufacturers even if they could mod the hardware...theres no software to support their unofficial mods or make use of the extra memory...none of the image writing teams support clones.

the way to improve it is to get a cheap nas or other always on device that can be mounted.

Or else just store 3 days worth of epg in the /tmp folder and dont reboot :)

Or else just store 3 days worth of epg in the /tmp folder and dont reboot :)

Can you please explain how to do this as I can't even manage to load 1 days epg on the box.

Heres a quick tut I put together quickly last night when pm'ing a member with the same question,its done from memory so dont shoot me if its not 100% accurate lol,

Bear in mind you will need a pli image installed

Hi m8,

Yes it should work no problem in Jade3/OpenPli image,
Best bet is to first of all go to the blue button panel and download the SQLite plugin and the rytec xml plugin (UK),

Now go to the epg settings in main menu/expert setup and change the options to SQLite and storage directory to/tmp (ignore the "this directory is not suitable etc" you can store 3 days worth in /tmp,

Then press the yellow button and you should have two new plugins called "Dreambox EPG Config" and "Update epg preferences"

Highlight the Dreambox one and in there in the drop down list you will find Radiotimes xml,select that then chose 3 days then press blue to go in and map your channels,press done when finished in there and it will kick back one step so know chose yellow to retreive your channels.

I think thats more or less the steps as I cant check because its the main box in the lounge lol so cant mess with it,

Just remember to save any changes as you go through the menus/settings and bear in mind that the radiotimes.xml source is not always up and running so sometimes you will get nothing and also if you reboot your box then you will lose the epg as the /tmp directory is erased at boot up :)

is there anyway you can list whats on epg in the bouquets like with the dm500c , is this possible, what image and how???

Back