diy laptop upgrades

Manse

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that gives general instructions on upgrading a laptop, ie h/drive etc, rams easy its got a slot on bottom lol.
or the title of a good book..... anythings better then pcworlds prices.: spank :

built alot of pc's so i know my way around a m/b but new to laptops,
just got hold of a old one from the I.T side of a place i do some work for who went bump and in the case was a unopened unused windows XP pro disk with paperwork and auth code. never been touched..result lol

its an old Toshiba Satellite PS170E 650mhz, 64mb ram, 6gb hd, running win ME
ive sorted the ram but was thinking about upping the hd.
and a 10/100 network card in one of the pc slot so it will be broadband usuable
I got it for the kids so i dont have to book time on the main pc lol
think the XP disk is worth more then i paid for it :)

Best bet is trawl the Tosh website for manuals, changing the hdd should be easy in itself. But...the pain with lappy's is getting to hdd, if it's 'inside' ie not in a removeable bay, then it can be a real pain opening the thing up...thats where you need a manual to show you what screws, what location etc.
You may find that its got a spare drive bay, thats removeable, ie a cd-rom drive that pops out, in which case you could get another carrier (most likely specific Tosh spare part) and mount another drive in that, so you could 'add' another drive. Then if it's got usb, get yourself an external cd drive/burner....

most of the tosh's have removable hdd's, i cant remember that model but it will be either phillips or torks 2 screws on the bottom very near the edge. once theses screws removed a small flap will come off, u should see hdd with a tab on it just pull and drive will come out.
drive will be in a metal carrier, normally held in with very small screws.

thanks guys.
managed to get some manuals off tosh site to look through, if to much hassle will just go the usb way.
thanks for the help..

Back