DivX Technology to be Added to PS3

Strange post.

Some one got a time machine?

Isn't this old news?

Surely it's not the old Divx Video Rental scheme??? DVD that expire after a set period of time etc.

Even with that date it's old, maybe they mean 13th May 2007 ;)

I wonder what's new about it then, perhaps Divx support for within the game engines?

i thought someone had dug up an old post when i seen the headline. im really confused by this, since we have had divx for along time now on ps3

the title of the press release is this: DivX® Technology to Power High-Quality Video for PLAYSTATION®3 Games

so that means the video in games will be Divx?

hmm looks interesting :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

sorry guys, seems like i caused a bit of confusion here, and tbh after a bit more research i'm confused myself now !
I tried to play downloaded avi files on my ps3 today , you know the ones you get off torrents and places like that.
ps3 doesnt recognise them if i drag them onto the harddrive, although i can stream them from pc. so i googled my problem which in turn led to the above post.
After reading comments above and researching a bit more i see that this is old news and divx is already supported apparently .

So why dont any of my avi divx files work then ?
any help would be appreciated

you need to have an external hard drive formatted in fat32

and you must put a folder on it named "PS3"

then in that folder make another called "VIDEO"

then put your films in there. the ps3 will recognise them then. make sure you use capital letters for the folder names, im sure thats required but maybe not.

if you have done the above then i have no idea what the problam is.

so that means the video in games will be Divx?

hmm looks interesting :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

that sounds more realistic. im sure i seen a story about that a month or 2 ago. i know it will be available HOME (if it ever gets released) and im sure Little Big Planet will use it

ok, getting somewhere now. the usb drive i was using to transfer avi files was coming up blank but press triangle and then view all and hey presto ! as if by magic they suddenly appear !
most are working now, although not all. some come up blank and a couple got wierd sounds coming from them instead of the soundtrack, obviously using a sound codec not supported .

sorry about confusing you all, sometimes i get over excited about something i have just found out and forget that not all press releases and posts are current. Some of the posts i was getting info off turned out to be from 2006 lol !!

Does the PS3 not play Divx directly from CD/DVD/USB or stream them over a network like the Xbox360 does?

i think an early update sorted that out witcchy mate not sure tho cause i cant get mine to stream worth a fcuk

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I'm certain the PS3 supports streaming as I've seen loads of stuff about it, but what about media playback? (ie cd, dvd usb)

yea easy as hell to stream i use tversity but can also be done with wmp11

Back