divx dvd player

jon676

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys looking for a not too expensive dvd player,that plays all format of divx. poss full hd as well.£100-150
thanks Jon
(was looking at the nortek 2850 hdmi, no price though noing my luck will be out of my range.

You can get a cheap blu-ray player for that price and you will get a better output from it. Some have USB ports and will play DIVX or MKV files from the USB or disk, some even have a ethernet port so you can stream files to them.

Philips with full 1080p, BD-Live V2 and DIVX Ultra Certified. £105 delivered.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BDP...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281818997&sr=8-2

Samsung with Internet TV, which connects to carious sites including Iplayer, Youtube and lots of other sites. USB ports for MP3, DivX, Divx HD, JPEG, JPEG HD, MKV, or AVCHD £103
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-BD-...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281818997&sr=8-3

Last edited:
just got one of these and its mint. its blu ray and will play divx mkv of of a usb or disk and stream divx but i havent found a way of streaming mkv yet. also it has bbc iplayer five od and a couple of others.

I agree with Captin, though I'm going to suggest the LG BD390 Blu-Ray player for £170 from Richer Sounds.

This is because it does one thing very few other standalone players can... read NTFS drives connected to the USB port.

As the player supports .mkv playback from the USB port, it's a very useful feature. NTFS hasn't got the same 4GB file limit inherent to FAT32.

That LG one is a good price at Amazon it's £235. If I didnt have my PS3 I would get one of those. The ability to read NTFS drives is a real big bonus.

But the ability to stream to the a player means you dont have to bother putting stuff on a drive or stick in the first place. You can use PS3mediaserver to stream content to the Samsung, and you can get a wireless adapter for it.

The Sony one is £2 cheaper on amazon and you get a HDMI cable.

thanks for your help guys.
altb Jon:Clap::Clap::Clap:

That LG one is a good price at Amazon it's £235. If I didnt have my PS3 I would get one of those. The ability to read NTFS drives is a real big bonus.

But the ability to stream to the a player means you dont have to bother putting stuff on a drive or stick in the first place. You can use PS3mediaserver to stream content to the Samsung, and you can get a wireless adapter for it.

The Sony one is £2 cheaper on amazon and you get a HDMI cable.
People have reported trouble with streaming .MKV files to various standalone players, even over ethernet. I know PS3mediaserver decodes the file on the server and streams the video feed rather than the file, but is it still a 720p/1080p feed?
think the samsung can read ntfs also and is 98.00 according to pricerunner ;)
So it does. Odd that it didn't come up on a google search for NTFS blu ray player last night...

the sony bdps370 and 373 wont stream mkv over dlna im afraid. Fix in the future? who knows. there is definatly room for some CFW in thie market

People have reported trouble with streaming .MKV files to various standalone players, even over ethernet. I know PS3mediaserver decodes the file on the server and streams the video feed rather than the file, but is it still a 720p/1080p feed?

When I stream an MKV file to my PS3 using PS3mediaserver it keep the full 720p or 1080p and full surroundsound as well as full bitrate of the MKV file.

I have never had any problems streaming any files other than the odd 1080p M2TS 40gb full blu-ray files, but thats only because I use the serving machine as a downloading machine, when I stop the downloads everything is alright.

I will say though that some people have problems because they try it with wireless and it's very tight on bandwidth. A wired 10/100 network is best for all but 1080p M2TS files, these need a little more as some of the bit rates can hit 150kbps or more, which is why I went gigabit.

Back