Dish re-location charges.

Goldberg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Hoping someone can give me a thumbs up/down to a quote I received today.

I have a Samsung Series 8 with Freesat. I installed the dish last year at the back of the house (in the winter), however with the summer a tree has blossomed in the line of sight and the signal is poor.

In addition we want to move the TV into the other lounge and so I thought the best thing to do would be to get a fitter round to move the dish to the Chimney (where they are on most houses on the street) and put a length of shotgun to the back and a length to the front of the house so that I have a feed into both rooms.

I managed to collar an engineer today who was fitting a dish for a neighbour. He gave me a quote of £160 to move the dish to the chimney, run the two lengths of cable down and put into the house.

Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere? I don't fancy getting on the roof so I would rather someone else did it.

I don't want $ky so that is not an option for the free fitting.

Thanks.

I would have thought that 100 quid would be more realistic but I suppose there is an element of danger working on a roof so maybe thats reflected in the price m8

can you not do it yourself

surprised they use chimneys now

not allowed up here

Far too high and the bay windows make it a right pain!

I have all the testing kit etc... but I am not climbing up on the roof. They installed one opposite on a chimney this morning so they seem to think it is still ok.

Hind site is great we are all geniuses after the fact,next time offer the guys doing your neighbours install cash while they are there,
ask the fitter is that including vat call out etc then ask for discount for a prompt payment in cash as even if he isn't into putting it in his pocket, he will be charged bank changes for a cheque and he is risking it bouncing or being stopped, or transaction charges for a credit card again risking the payment being stopped
I am not trying to suggest you would in any way do such a thing but cash is always king you get paid and have the money whether he lodges it into his bank account or keeps it is not your concern
Sounds expensive to me, but copper is not cheap these days and you want a bit of cable
Good luck D

a 'normal' freesat install (dish with single feed to one room, fitted no higher than guttering on standard 2 storey house) is £80. it sounds like you want a dish fitted, with twin feeds to 2 rooms, freesats standard charge for this is £149 (this is called a B2 install). anything that involves extras, is charges for, as an extra, according to a standard price matrix, roof work @ £40, due to the extra time involved in the extra safety equipment needed for access. if mounted on a chimney, then a cradle will also be needed, as youre not supposed to dril into a chimney, this is another £39.99 for non standard bracketry. As you want your existing dish removed, this also adds to the time (even though it may only be minutes) and the existing cable relocated or extended, and this actually takes longer than installing a new dish and new cable run, which going by the price matrix, is £30 per half hour (or part of)

so really, it should be around £260, plus, the guy probably wouldnt have had a spare 1.5-2 hours in his day to fit it in there and then

if you have bay windows and awkward roofs etc which make things take longer, then its possible that it may cost more, or, for safety reasons, the guy may just have not wanted to do it. i carry abseiling gear on my van as standard, but, there have been one or 2 jobs over the years that have actually been 'impossible'

So in short digi thinks that's a great price :D

a 'normal' freesat install (dish with single feed to one room, fitted no higher than guttering on standard 2 storey house) is £80. it sounds like you want a dish fitted, with twin feeds to 2 rooms, freesats standard charge for this is £149 (this is called a B2 install). anything that involves extras, is charges for, as an extra, according to a standard price matrix, roof work @ £40, due to the extra time involved in the extra safety equipment needed for access. if mounted on a chimney, then a cradle will also be needed, as youre not supposed to dril into a chimney, this is another £39.99 for non standard bracketry. As you want your existing dish removed, this also adds to the time (even though it may only be minutes) and the existing cable relocated or extended, and this actually takes longer than installing a new dish and new cable run, which going by the price matrix, is £30 per half hour (or part of)

so really, it should be around £260, plus, the guy probably wouldnt have had a spare 1.5-2 hours in his day to fit it in there and then

if you have bay windows and awkward roofs etc which make things take longer, then its possible that it may cost more, or, for safety reasons, the guy may just have not wanted to do it. i carry abseiling gear on my van as standard, but, there have been one or 2 jobs over the years that have actually been 'impossible'

So there we have it ;) I'm calling him tonight.

In my previous property it was actually impossible to put a dish up.
It would have been ideal on the front but it was a conservation area.
The strange layout of the building and trees meant no way to put a dish up. I had 4 different engineers round who said "No".

Cheers guys

Well when you read it like Digi writes snap his hand off
shows you what I know
Regards
D

So in short digi thinks that's a great price :D

going by the official prices, it IS a good price, also, different areas can get different prices, work that id be lucky to get £100 for, will get £250+ in major city areas

So there we have it ;) I'm calling him tonight.

In my previous property it was actually impossible to put a dish up.
It would have been ideal on the front but it was a conservation area.
The strange layout of the building and trees meant no way to put a dish up. I had 4 different engineers round who said "No".

Cheers guys

if you could have got a signal from the front, then using bracketry, youd have gotten a signal from the back

after finishing with sky, i made a business out of 'installing the impossible', and a few years back, due to insurances, there was only 2 locations i couldnt fit a dish, one was a water carrying viaduct, and the other was the side of a concrete cooling tower. ive fitted dishes to trees, the side of a cliff, the inside of a bathroom wall, under an attic skylight, the water side of a marina, with new fiber optical technology, ive fitted a dish about half a mile from the house it was serving. Ive been to jobs where sky have said its impossible, other firms have said its impossible, and within 2 hours, and no actual 'special' equipment, have had the customer viewing

theres not many places in the welsh valleys who turn up with abseiling gear and angle grinders to MAKE bracketry, as standard, and who can get a tree surgeon on site within 2 hours if theyre needed, and if you need a service like this, it may not actually be cheap, but, if i cant get you a satellite signal, then the only other option, is to move house

(im a TSG Freesat approved installer [theres only 2 covering south, mid, east and west wales], as well as sky ASA registered for installing, digitalUK, and all the rest, apart from CAI due to their fees, but ill even safely install jobs that CAI firms have said cannot be done)

Now that is what I call free enterprise initiative you should get a government grant as Wales is a high unemployment zone

Back