river4ever

river4ever
Reaction score
Okay folks.....
In Belfast (Northern Ireland )
(UK)

Seriously considering seeing the world.
(one man army)
The city I live in does not amuse me. Doom and gloom here.
(Wheather and all)
LOL.

I was considering moving to Dublin for awhile then looking down under.
(Australia)
Got my paper work as a welder in MMA(NVQ) 1&2 fully time served with 20 years behind me in the trade.

Has anyone tried it as I know persons that went......
Some never come back and those who have come home loved it.

As I'm over the age for working visa I can still get in down under with sponsor but it's like $2500.

I know many have tried it on working visa but it's a bit more complicated over my ripe age.
Thoughts/experience are well appreciated.

(Really thinking of it guys)!!

:)

Last edited:
I know two people who have emigrated to Australia. One was a road layer in his early twenties, I don't know how he did it as I didn't think it was a required skill there but that was 2004, or so. I was at uni with someone who recently took his family to Australia and is working as an electrical commissioning engineer (after getting experience here).

I thought welders would be in good demand in the UK though?

100% mate.
But it's a change of lifestyle I'm looking at more than anything @Spectre mate.
Welders here get around £10-£18PH.

Down under it's like $60PH.
(Mining work)
I know a box cornflakes is like $7 there.

Will be something that I'm going for.
Also going to check there setup with red or white c**ds and so on.

;)

Can you do any fab work? Ok reading drawings?
Can you TIG weld?

One of my good mates went out there in 2004 to Adelaide. He could hold his own with the above and he's never looked back. He's been back to the UK twice since and can't wait to get back to Oz.
He said IT IS HARD. His kids loved it but there was many a time him and the wife were convinced they'd made a mistake. It's the moving your entire life over to another country and the upheaval it brings that will get to people. The main thing is try to get settled in a house or flat etc as soon as possible and get into a feeling of normality. Living out of suitcases in a empty house is when the doubts start.
He did say, some things you wouldn't imagine can affect you, sometimes do. After a year or two, you do start to miss the cold Xmas time rather than it being red hot on Xmas day over there.

I toyed with the idea myself not long after he went over there. I'm a time served sheet metal worker, can MIG,MMA and TIG.
Passed the criteria easily (as well as Canada) but eventually gave up with the idea.

Yes mate I can do TIG and MIG welding. But paper work is MMA. I picked up TIG over years.
Reading drawings is not an issue but at times I need advise as I'm sure you know one mistake can be "costly".

As it stands now I will be heading to Dublin within the next 6/8 weeks and do what's needed there. But main goal is down under within 12 months.
Biggest adventure of my life as I will be doing this by myself.
As you mentioned @Fangface your mate thought it may of been a big mistake but you say what many have done it say...
"Can't wait to get back"

So fun/challenging times lay ahead.

Cheers river.

Keep an open air fair ticket so if money becomes an issue then you can get home,Many guys i have worked with in the building trade have tried oz and returned home due to missing friends and family,My own brother who is a carpenter also spent many many years in canada working but also returned home due to paper work issues,He had a great adventure and became a parachute instructor to,Just keep it nice and steady and enjoy your experience,I myself have spend a fair amount of time working over there in dublin and loved it,Worked in germany for a couple of years after the wall came down and the money was huge at the time,Being a welshman i found the pull of gods country (wales) land of our fathers and now enjoy my kids and wife here

Back