DSLR Digital SLR

stuartygr

Inactive User
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

My son is starting a photography course at school and i am looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on an entry level Digital SLR camera.....nothing toooo complicated and easy on MY pocket :Biggrin2:

Cheers

Although my schooldays are long past, I decided to take up photography as a hobby and had a lot to learn. "Santa" very kindly brought me a Nikon D3200SLR (the 3300 is out now) and while its Auto modes do a great job generally, it has ample manual adjustments, and not too hard to get to grips with.
It's own manual was basic to say the least, but I soon got hold of a copy of 3200 For Dummies which explains things in much easier to understand terms.
I have learnt a huge amount since getting the camera so if your budget can stretch to one, you could do a lot worse.
As the 3300 has been out for a while, you'll probably get a good deal on a 3200.
Mine came from a site called expedite electronics which beat competitors' prices by a mile.

Does the course suggest any specs that the camera needs to meet? For example; "bulb mode" is ubiquitous, even for entry level DSLR cameras, however a cable release socket isn't. Instead those cameras will rely on IR triggers or timers (via menu).

Most people will head down the Canon or Nikon route. But don't overlook Sony and Pentax (Sony has more market penetration than Pentax).

I can't speak for Canon, Pentax or Sony, but I have a Nikon D5100 and it is a great beginners' camera, maybe a little bit overkill if he'd just starting out... the 3300 or 3200 are probably a good choice as mentioned above!

Have to agree that the Nikon D3200 is excellent choice for beginners.
It has a very user friendly lcd menu.

Back