Diesel injector cleaner

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a '04 Tucson CRDI which has just covered 100,000 miles. It runs very well, been serviced regularly etc. BUT it has a slight mis-fire (on just one cylinder I think) between 1500 & 1900 rpm. Most noticeable on gentle acceleration or slight inclines. Recently I put through some fuel additive injector cleaner (Liqui-moly) and it did help but hasn't cleared it completely.
I was wanting to try some different brands, I've seen Hydra Diesel Power Blast, Forté, Redex etc. etc. among others, but I would like to know if anyone who has personal experience could recommend one.
TIA.

i use Millers Diesel Power Ecomax i can notice a difference in performance when used

word of warning your not suppose to mix different cleaners at the same time

you may have to replace the injector itself if fuel treatments don't help

good luck

i use Millers Diesel Power Ecomax i can notice a difference in performance when used

word of warning your not suppose to mix different cleaners at the same time

you may have to replace the injector itself if fuel treatments don't help

good luck

Yes, I did see Millers, and old-school name! Is that an actual cleaner though or just a cetane booster? I'm not looking to boost performance as such, I just want to clear the mis-fire.

I'm trying everything before replacing any injectors; for one a recon one is about £200, plus I don't know which one is guilty - if indeed that is the problem.

Thanks for the tip re. not mixing different types :)

Was having issues with my 74k mile diesel. AA man advised Forte Advanced Formula Diesel treatment.

It's not the cheapest out there but added it to full tank and worked a treat !!

When i had problem with injector on my A4 B7 i used SONAX Diesel system cleaner - code no 05181000 and get rid of the +values.
Hope it helps !
Cheers !

I also was advised Forte Advanced Formula Diesel treatment.

Always thought this stuff was like snake oil :)

I suspect some of them are, but I have had positive results in the past from locally available anonymous brands, I'm hoping the known ones will do an even better job.
I see Forté offer a triple pack; Injector, turbo & DPF cleaner. I will give that a go & report back.

Hi,I used
Diesel Catalytic Converter Cleaner 500ml
On my 07 Renault Laguna when failed CO2 Exhaust MOT test .as a result it passed the following test ,give it a try and good luck.
  • > Decreases soot and regenerates Diesel Particulate Filters.
  • > Regenerates and cleans Injection systems
  • > Attacks carbon build up on diesel injectors
  • > Burns away Carbon deposits
  • > Increases fuel efficiency & performance
  • > Cleans EGR valves

I suspect some of them are, but I have had positive results in the past from locally available anonymous brands, I'm hoping the known ones will do an even better job.
I see Forté offer a triple pack; Injector, turbo & DPF cleaner. I will give that a go & report back.

Now DPF cleaner is snake oil lol

Don't know how relevant this is but my diesel car is about 10 years old and has done over 140,000 miles so decided to go down the Hydrogen Carbon Cleaning route.
Previously, I too would spend between £5 and £10 on a bottle of something, every time I went to Halfords, which was meant to work wonders on the car engine's internals. Watched loads of videos on YouTube about it and decided to try it as opposed to TerraClean which is more involved and requires disconnecting the fuel pipes, etc., and is more expensive.
Upshot is that it's early days but can definitely tell the difference sound wise, especially from cold start, much quieter and smoother. But, like I said it's early days so will continue to check fuel return figures before weather starts to get colder ;)

Silver Hook Diesel Fuel Treatment is good value, made in UK and only £3.98 at Toolstation Depots where you also can enjoy a cup of free soup or coffee etc. I have tried this treatment on several diesels that failed their MOT smoke test. After a fifteen minute spirited drive three out of four diesels passed the test. Turned out the one that failed had a bad injector.

I recently noticed my 16 year old Smart 450 diesel now having clocked up 248k was emitting embarrassing clouds of smoke when overtaking at high revs. Visited nearest Toolstation depot, enjoyed a cup of free delicious soup plus a cup of coffee and bought a bottle of Silver Hook Diesel Fuel Treatment. Poured half a bottle in the tank and drove home. No more visible smoke clouds but for how long is anybody’s guess.

Last edited:
I recently noticed my 16 year old Smart 450 diesel now having clocked up 248k was emitting embarrassing clouds of smoke when overtaking at high revs. Visited nearest Toolstation depot, enjoyed a cup of free delicious soup plus a cup of coffee and bought a bottle of Silver Hook Diesel Fuel Treatment. Poured half a bottle in the tank and drove home. No more visible smoke clouds but for how long is anybody’s guess.

Try it again at night with headlights behind!

A good "Italian tune up" (thrash it now and again) always clears the crap..........especially before an MOT.
Anybody considered using 2 Stroke oil as an additive ?
Worked well on my Volvo V70 1999, it improved the throttle response and mpg.................
Read up before you try it, usually mineral based and can be bought for around £17 for 5 Litres....................

A good "Italian tune up" (thrash it now and again) always clears the crap..........especially before an MOT.
Anybody considered using 2 Stroke oil as an additive ?
Worked well on my Volvo V70 1999, it improved the throttle response and mpg.................
Read up before you try it, usually mineral based and can be bought for around £17 for 5 Litres....................

I don't think I will be doing either. The car gets a good mix of open road and occasional motorway, albeit at a sensible pace and I don't relish the thought of stressing the whole engine unduly on the off chance it might clear a blockage. (It does get red-lined occasionally on overtaking!). Different for a town-only shopping/school run car.
There are mixed opinions on the 2-stroke oil treatment. Yes, the stuff will burn but as it's not a designed to be a cleaning agent I personally think it is unlikely to help to clear any blockages.
When you say "it worked well" on your car, what led you to try it?

I agree that there are many mixed opinions on 2 stroke, I read some good reports on the Volvo forums so gave it a go.
Used it for a approximately 100,000 miles and never had issues, the old girl (1999 V70 2.5 tdi auto) got to 340,000 when we parted.

Yes I agree it's not a cleaning agent but it burns better.

I currently run a V70 2.4 D5 auto and although I see no improvement in mpg, but I still give it a dose at every 4th fill up.

A late update as it's taken this long for me to get through 4 tankfuls!

I got the Forté 4-pack; injector cleaner, DPF cleaner, turbo cleaner & "advanced diesel treatment" (whatever that does).
The injector cleaner made little perceptible difference - which was no surprise really as I'd already used a couple of locally-sourced products which did help at the time but I think they had done all that could be done.
After that tankful was done (it takes me about a month to use a full tank) I put the DPF cleaner through - again, no noticeable difference in performance and the 1500~2000 rpm 'miss' was still present.
Next I tried the "turbo cleaner". Now this DID make a difference. The 'miss' was far less noticeable and I was able to take certain inclines in 3rd gear where I used to have to use 2nd. Acceleration is now a lot smoother.
So was it a dirty turbo? Or is there just something in that product that managed to shift whatever was causing the problem? I suspect the latter but who knows? But suffice to say the car is now running a lot better.
Curiously though my fuel consumption has gone up! Only slightly, but the long-term consumption used to be 7.7 ~7.8 litres/100 km whereas now I struggle to keep it under 8. Perhaps I am just enjoying the smooth acceleration too much and being a bit heavy-footed.

Back