Did not login with VPN?

river4ever

river4ever
Reaction score
Got strange email from microsoft today. I never connect to a network without hiding my IP address. I have PIA “VPN” running on all devices at home.
Theres two ISPs (vermin & BT) running in my home. Most is connected to vermin and BT is used for one purpose only.

Earlier microsoft emailed saying that unusual login details were detected. The IP address was disclosed and the time of login and device.
My son was on the network (vermin)....
(playing xbox with no VPN)
I can not remember the login details as its auto sign in on xbox AND NEVER ATTEMPTED TO LOGIN AT TIME OUTLINED IN EMAIL.

But the IP address mentioned in the email does make sense as its used by my VPN supplier.
How is this possible there was an attempt to login when no one knows the login details.

Is it possible the VPN is hoping onto my network “via” another device???
FEAAC5CE-4F97-499D-9FDB-E1BA3BE8BAB8.jpeg

Last edited:
It's an email account so may not be from the Xbox unless it's the only thing you use that email for. By any chance did you have an email client running that may have polled your email causing you to gett that alert?

Also please note that if you have a VPN connection open the VPN provider does have access to your device at if it was on their home network once they have the correct settings. I use this feature on all boxes I configure. That way if there is a problem I can just get them to start openvpn and the box appears on my network and I can troubleshoot. Saves me having to open ports on their firewall.

Have you ever thought it was just someone making a mistake? The login username of theirs so close to yours that if someone mistypes when drunk or distracted and type in your by mistake - I'd be worried if it continues to happen and not worried about 1 failed attempt.

That says someone did login not tried to. It might be your phone email app syncing with your emails and because it was through your VPN it has seen the login

Back