DI4001N in a loop?

_Phat_

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is it dead? My DI4001N has taken poorly the symptoms are:
Displays Pace => Tune => NiT => Pat fairly quickly.
Then it runs through a range of digits on the display for about 5 mins after which Pdld then ERRS is visible in the display for a few seconds, after this the display flashes all the characters and LED’s for about 2-3 mins then after that nothing it just sits there with the middle LED lit.

Its for all the world as though it is going through its update routine but never finishing.

If left in stream it goes through the above routine all by itself every 5 mins or so.

Nothing on screen at all during or after the above process (did have updating message see below).
Can’t access engs menu.
No amount of pressing different button combinations has produced anything other than the above.
Pulling the red jumper did make the “updating your service” message disappear permanently though.

Subbed box on same stream works a peach (DI4001NC).

Second box DI4010N works fine too.

I had a look at TWOBEERCANS 4001 repair guide and the box is showing a healthy 35.8 tuning volts, before I pull the motherboard and whip off the smd caps is there anything I am missing (aside from my telly Lol).

any and all help appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response Clive, never seen a test sim are they hard to construct?.

Not hard mate if your ok with doing the attys, PM me your E-mail addy with your request and i'll send you the dumps ok ;)
Clive.

PS I like your siggy lol.

PPS oh feck just saw this "Pulling the red jumper did make the “updating your service” message disappear permanently though."
Sorry i missed that the first time i read your post :rolleyes:
Looks like you need to reflash your onboard attys then mate, you've probably corrupted them :(
Clive.

Oh dear I have killed it then dam :( ah well it's definitely time to buy a willem.
Thanks Clive

it sounds like you may have a poor simm socket or contact - the inability to access the eng menu at this stage is common because of the failed update.
maplins for switch cleaner and a fibre pen - use the fibre pen to clean the simm contacts then dowse the socket in switch cleaner and mop away the excess.
pop in the simm.
it may well work - of course if you have a faulty simm (unlikely) then pm me.

Thanks mate

I should have a fibreglass pencil around some where, is there any substitute for the switch cleaner (nearest Maplins is a 30 mile round trip).

Cheers

Phat

I think pulling the red jumper while it was in an update loop has corrupted the onboard dumps but theres no harm in trying to clean the simm socket.
You can susbstitute cleaner with IPA spray.
Clive.

Sounds like I wil be shopping tomorrow, thanks gents.
@Clive the willem from jabs @ £65 seems reasonable or is there a cheaper source.

Cheers

Phat

if i was you m8, i would short out pins 16 and 32 on the nvram behind the battery and swop the simmcard with the 1 from your subbed box {assumeing the simms are the same} ie: 2 chip for a 2 chip simm, 4 chip for a 4 chip simm

do the 2321 box reset then directly try to boot into the e/menu without the cable feed connected------------

the 4001 is a davic box - it can normally stand an interrupt in the update, but doing the interrupt usually stops you getting into the eng menu.
the box should sort itself out if you clean the socket ect and leave it in stream - since you can't enter the eng menu you'll probably find the home frequency is incorrect this means it will take some time in stream to sort itself out - anything up to half an hour.

Thanks for the advice gents but sadly no luck so far, cleaned up the working faces of the sim and cleaned the socket with inkjet cartridge flush (nail polish remover).
Couldn’t swap the sims as the 4001nc is 2 chips and the 4001n I have is 4.
Took me a little while to find a datasheet for the nvram to see which are pins 16 and 32 as it must be one of the few chips not to have an indicator marked on the board, still whilst looking I found this useful site:
h**p://www.chipcatalog.com/Datasheet/AA8B2CB22E8B0C076AB1829B1B8362D4.htm
tried shorting them out and re-using the original sim but no effect :(

@TWOBEERCANS thanks for the very kind offer mate
@Clive thanks, direct from willem it’s £12 cheaper

Cheers

Phat

Left it in stream about 6hrs now and no change, no thats not strictly true after every "cycle" it changes to a different LED on the front of the box.
So I guess it's buy a willem and lift the atmels or see the strange man in the local "charity" shop and buy another box for £35.

My thanks to all for your excellent advice but I think this one is a goner.

Cheers

Phat

Apologies for dredging up an old post but this may give others some hope.

Not had much chance to look at this thing lately so it has been sat in the cupboard for a while, before stripping it down I decided to give it one more chance.
Took all the other boxes off the c*ble feed and stuck it on the first connection fired it up and it went through it's loop routine, then right at the end of it's cycle I see the magic word on the display "BOOT".
It's running now but does seem a little slow to change channels.

since this has been dredged up - i have some comments LOL.
a mate came round tonight saying his box was doing the same thing - after applying moderate pressure to the simm the f@@kin thing went 88:88. reflow the atty's and the 88:88 problem sorted, the product of poor refitting no doubt "bloody traders".
anyway applying moderate pressure to i.c's over the board and when applied pressure to U1900 and U1901 the box took the update.
i should point out for some reason everytime the box was powered down from the mains it wanted to update.
after reflowing these i.c's the wanting to update problem was solved.
he's just gone home happy and thats another one for the scrap book.
of course if you pull the red jumper with this problem the box will sit on tune for a while before if does anything < thats for those that have done so and are now selling a box stuck in tune on ebay LOL.

Back