Dell Win 8 Laptop with M2. SSD

Mr_Jailer

Inactive User
Reaction score
I formatted the SSD to install Win 7, then realised there was no COA sticker 'cos it is Windows 8.

I tried to install Win 8 from an Image I downloaded from MS, but the M2 SSD is not detected, how do I load F6 drivers and where do I obtain them from?

As a side question, how do I retrieve the Win 8 license key from the BIOS?

Thanks,

MJ.

Not being able to see the M.2 SSD might be down to a Secure Boot mode within the UEFI/BIOS. See if you can find such a setting and turn it off. (You can turn it on again once you've reinstalled.)

As for the key; Windows 8 should auto detect the key when you install (as will Windows 10 ;)). If you really want to extract the key, there are several methods listed here: 3 Ways to extract the Windows 8 Product key from the BIOS (link given as I've not tried them)

The option to boot from your M.2 won't appear if you have other drives connected either. If there are other drives then disconnect them temporarily until the M.2 is detected and selected.

I formatted the SSD to install Win 7, then realised there was no COA sticker 'cos it is Windows 8.

I tried to install Win 8 from an Image I downloaded from MS, but the M2 SSD is not detected, how do I load F6 drivers and where do I obtain them from?

As a side question, how do I retrieve the Win 8 license key from the BIOS?

Thanks,

MJ.

I have pasted below a checklist obtained from Dell, it would assume you have windows 10 iso DVD to install this from.
How to Install Windows 10 from a Dell Windows 10 recovery DVD

This article provides information on "How to Install and update the system configuration to successfully install Windows 10 from a Dell Windows 10 recovery DVD" This method also applies for Windows 8 to 8.1.
Dell computers when used with a Dell iso image for operating system installs will automatically have their software activated without needing a Key. However if you require windows 10, first install your previous operating system and then use the upgrade for Windows assitive technologies Windows assistive technologies to push this for the final journey to Windows 10.
Notes: There is no reason why you can't make a bootable usb stick with the iso instead of using a DVD, just substitute the stick drive for the DVD text below.

1.Check in the BIOS (Press F2 at boot), to ensure the BIOS is currently in Legacy mode ( if the system shipped with Windows 7, the system BIOS it is most likely configured in the Legacy mode)
2.Boot from the Windows 10 recovery DVD (F12 Menu) (Legacy Option > DVD) then press the Enter key
Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.
3.Choose English
4.Choose US
5.Choose Troubleshoot
6.Choose Advanced
7.Choose Command prompt
8.In the Command Prompt Window, enter the Command: "diskpart" then press the Enter key (This will open the diskpart application in the command line mode)
9.Type Next Command: "list disk" then press the Enter key
10.Type: "select disk 0" then press the Enter key (0 usually is the target hard drive where the OS should be installed if there are multiple drives)
11.Type "clean" then press the Enter key
WARNING: ALL DATA on the drive will be removed. If you have any data you need backed up, abort this process and backup your data now.

12.Type "convert GPT" then press the Enter key
13.Type "exit" then press the Enter key (2 times)
14.Power down the System
15.Restart the system while tapping F2 key to enter the BIOS
16.Change the Boot List Option from Legacy to UEFI with Legacy Option ROMS "Enabled"
17.Navigate to Exit and "Exit Saving Changes"
18.Reboot and use the F12 boot menu option
19.Choose UEFI DVD boot option then press the Enter key
20.Dell Screen will show for a few moments
Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

21.Choose English
22.Choose US
23.Choose Troubleshoot
24.Choose Recover from a drive
25.Choose either "Just remove my files" or "Fully clean drive"
26.Dell screen – will show "recovering this PC XX%"
27.The system will Reboot to Windows 10 when the installation is finished

The option to boot from your M.2 won't appear if you have other drives connected either. If there are other drives then disconnect them temporarily until the M.2 is detected and selected.

The other 'drive' would be the Win 7 USB boot stick. I should remove the USB stick after I have selected to boot from USB, let Windows setup initialisation run, choose Keyboard and zone and then remove the stick before it proceeds to the 'Custom' or 'upgrade' screen?

Don't know if that would apply to a USB boot mate. Just going off my experience with my M.2, any crash will result in me having to disconnect my other 2 hard drives in order for it to boot into Windows.

Back