Dell Latitude D800 laptop

Dbox8

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop which suddenly lost it's display today. On rebooting now it will stay on for a minute or so and then go black screen. I did manage to get it to boot into diagnostics mode and when it came to the graphic card bit it said fail and all weird alert noises came from it! I am presuming I need a graphic card? Any thoughts?? Thanks.

this would be tough, as the graphics adapter is probably built in.

How old is it? Have you considered re-installing windows on it yet?

It's probably 3 or 4 years old, I have seen some threads on google about people upgrading the card so presumeably it can be done? I could install windows again, I have a brand new xp official disc, however don't really want to lose whats on it if poss??

If the Dell diagnostics have thrown up an error than you got a hard ware problem and re-installing windows isn't going to make any difference. Dell diags are normally rubbish but if they have flagged up an error than you definitely have a hardware problem. Under normal circumstances I would have said there was a problem with your inverter and these are normally £10 and easy to replace but if it is a problem with the graphics card than you are stuffed as this is on the motherbaord and you would need to replace the motherboard. If you are able to note error and maybe able to google it than you will get more info. Have you tried using an external monitor to see if you get any picture.

D800 is onboard graphics. There is no chance of replacing just the gfx.

If you think that it might be software related then download a live CD (linux or windows) that contains burn-in software and try running that.

I have attached external monitor and it reports on the LCD Inverter Detection Test an error code 1000-0323 Unable to detect inverter lamp status. So how bad is it??? Thanks.

as oneman says, get a live spin of some type of linux (Ubuntu maybe) and see if this works at all.

Unfortunately, given this is a laptop, you would probably need to get the motherboard replaced or consider getting a new laptop. I would go for a new machine personally.

General tip...

Try staying in the BIOS for a while, if the problem doesn't manifest itself, and only shows up when you enter the OS, you have a software issue/driver problem.

If the problem also exists outwith the operating system (in the BIOS), then there's a good chance that the hardware is goosed.
--
In a lot of cases where the invertor has gone, you can sometimes see your display/desktop behind it...It won't be very bright, but may be just enough to make it out.

If you can't, then try holding down your Fn key, and tap the Up arrow a few times.

Just tried that, it goes off in bios too. When it first happened I did actually think I could see the faintest of pictures in the background but I can't now! Fn and the up key does nothing. Ta.

Update! Inverter arrived today, fitted tonight and it's stayed on an hour so far, in fact i'm on it now! The new inverter is slightly different which stopped the holes lining up but I have improvised. And, to top it all off I only had 2 screws left over! Thanks to all for the help.:Cheers:

And, to top it all off I only had 2 screws left over!

I love it, you are now a qualified computer engineer............ this always happens to me too lol
Try dismantling a printer and putting that back together, guaranteed lots of parts left over.

Back