Dell Inpiron 3650 Desktop Orange light

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
My inspiron 3650 desktop pc is stuck on an orange light, I’ve pressed the power test button on the rear and it flashes green and fan spins.

But the pc is completely dead, I’ve tried two different new lithium 2032 batteries in the bios battery but no joy. Took old battery out, put power supply in then held in power button, pulled out power while still holding button for over w minute. Did this a few times but no joy.

Anybody know what else I could try?

Sounds like hardware problems to me :(. I've had to replace multiple Optiplexes at work due to the dreaded orange light. Make sure all peripherals are disconnected (including internal components like DVD drives) and try a different power outlet in a different room and possibly try swapping power cables with the monitor.

If you can get into the bios then set the boot to usb and see if you can load a self booting drive, Failing that then start with the power supply. then graphics card. have you got an old one or can you borrow one? same with the power, if you can borrow one. Memory, have you changed any? have you actually added or changed anything on the machine? Have you put something on it or installed some bad software. The machines are never dead as such, and there are only a few parts to check. as to memory, check everything is plugged in but go to one stick, just swap and change. you should find the cause.

I do not know what your knowledge level is so i put a link to a video where some fella checks out a dell desktop. Its pretty basic but if you haven't done it before it will give you some idea on what to check. Be careful of the wires for the switches though, if you do pull them off they are marked up on the motherboard but if you are not sure i wouldn't touch them yet until you have to. hope this is helpful
LFC#51 - Dell Orange Light Diagnostics

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back