dell e6430 battery replace cell

tiktok

New Member +
Reaction score
dear all exparts,

my dell laptop battery show not chargeing than i open battery and chack and 2 cell way 2volt show than i change it new cell replace

but still same issue i use google and some people told if replace cell than battery bms need some seting with some pay tool and solutions for this issue..

thanks

By replacing a laptop battery, you eat into the profit margins of the OEM who wants to sell you them at 3x markup, as well as the knockoff manufacturers who want to similarly gouge you!
So, they intentionally make it hard for you.

Laptop batteries universally have a micro-controller on the charging circuitry that tracks the status of the individual batteries.
If it detects that a single battery is bad, based on voltage measurements while charging, it will refuse to charge that cell again.

Fortunately, those chips don't do much in the way of authentication or security (in general), so IF you have the methods to interface with them, you can write to the registers you can recover them.

What you need though:
1. The exact chip on the battery management system board, and its data sheet
2. a mechanism to do SMBUS transactions to the device (potentially an arduino or raspberry pi)
3. a bit of scripting to hit the proper register

For example, not your Dell BMS, but similar GitHub - rxtxinv/Reverse_Engineering_BQ20z70_Laptop_BMS: Reverse engineering BQ20z70 Laptop BMS

Most laptop batterys have li-ion 18650 battery's inside , can you not open it and check the voltage on each individual cell , if one is duff replace it with exactly the same one , you can get cheep 18650 chargers to charge them ect as the BMS will not charge then if they are under a certain voltage

Most laptop batterys have li-ion 18650 battery's inside , can you not open it and check the voltage on each individual cell , if one is duff replace it with exactly the same one , you can get cheep 18650 chargers to charge them ect as the BMS will not charge then if they are under a certain voltage

With older ROM-based BMS, this was the case - the BMS had no memory, and you could swap cells as long as they were fully charged.
Newer EEPROM based BMS have a memory of which cells were below a threshold. If you replace the cells before the BMS decides they are dead, the BMS is happy. If you replace them AFTERWARDS, you need to clear the EEPROM.
This is what led to the whole "short out the BMS and confuse it.." youtube nastiness (which hardly ever worked)

Back