DELL;- Battery 2# not present

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older Dell Latitude E6410 and when I disconnect the AC it turns off. I replaced the battery about 6 months ago. The battery icon say's

Battery 1# charging (when a/c connected)
Battery 2# not present

I tried a few tricks like uninstalling the battery drivers,
Taking battery out power down for a minute,
Checked BIOS settings,
It's been working fine till now. If I press the small button on the battery I get 1 green light light up.
Is it a power management error because it's not a genuine Dell battery or has the battery died ?. It came off a decent dealer off eBay who'd sold about 700 and not many complaints.

A lot of the batteries have some sort of memory in them, probably an I2C EEPROM or similar, that identifies the battery and contains life counters etc.

If it's a used battery then it could be a few reasons.

I tried the Dell diag said all fine. When I uninstalled the battery drivers in device manager I powered down, battery off I then held the power button down for a minute. When I put he battery and charger back in and booted it the battery icon showed it charging (the line in the symbol moving upwards) but after it re-installed the battery drivers it stopped dead and the battery 1# just remains on 9% and has been for 2 hours.

As soon as I pull the a/c off it goes. I don't want to be paying out for a new battery if it's the software at fault. Is it possible to run a simple check via a multimeter ?

If I press FN + F2 the battery indicator starts to move as though it's charging but it does it 5 times then stops. The charging is stuck on 9% and I need 10% to update BIOS :(

The genuine Dell batteries are guarnteed to last 12 months but are usually fine for at least to 2.5 to 3 years. I have steered away from a compatible battery and brought one from Amazon for about £38 and it has been fine for the last 18 months.

Back