Deleting channels for good

C

curly

Sorry for going on so much. Thanks to you brilliant guys who have given advice which I tried and everything went to plan, but it doesn't solve my problem. I want to completely get rid of all the Adult channels as I have two growing boys who are far more technically minded than me who know how to access them whatever I try to do to stop them. I have locked them but they know how to access the pin numbers, I have created a new bouquet and moved them to it and hidden it, but they know how to access it through the service menu. Basically, the ultimate solution for me is to get rid altogether but don't know how to, or even if it is possible. Please can someone help? You've been brilliant so far.... can you help me now?? xx

Think the only way of doing that is to edit the boutique files on your pc, remove the adult chanels and uplead the boutique back on to the dbox!

Capdan

Delete them from your service file and the bouquet file. However they will easily be able to get them back by doing a scan. Or ftp'ing over a seperate set of service files.

Ftp your services,xml to your pc and edit out the unwanted channels (i use wordpad for this many many times without a problem, allthough some ppl say you need a special xml editor, upto you realy)delete your existing one and then ftp edited one back.
Then go to var/tuxbox/config and copy scan.config to your pc then delete the one on the box, as i dont think its used for anything other than scanning, ( you will have to put it back on the dbox should you want to scan in the future) so unless you boys know what file you have removed and know how to ftp it back and were it goes then i think you will win as they wont even be able to scan with the box so have no way of ever getting adult channels.

Ultimate way to disguise it from the kids...

First of all, download your services.xml and bouquets.xml files to your PC. Then as derekwd says, remove the lines that relate to the adult channels (this is pretty easy). Now FTP the edited files back to the box. Thats that bit done.

Now set a new PIN number on the parental controls. Set it so that you cannot enter the "Service" menu without the pin code. Problem here is that if the kids know the neutrino.conf file contains the PIN code, then they could just look at that on the PC or box.
Nifty way around this: FTP into the /var/tuxbox/config folder, and rename the cables.xml file to cable.xml (note the missing S on the end of cables). This little disguise will fool the kids into thinking that nothing has changed. Fortunately for you, without a valid cables.xml file, the box thinks its SATELLITE.... so scanning for channels wont produce any results.

So now you have a PIN code set, which even if they did find out, couldnt change the channel lineup. The box thinks its a sat dbox, and will show the scanning settings for SATELLITE; which WONT work (obviously due to it being a cable box), and wont mess up the existing channel order. The edited bouquets.xml/services.xml do NOT contain the adult channels, therefore are not even on the box to be viewed. The only way for the channels to come back would be to do find the original services.xml file and do a manual scan using the transponder and frequency [will only work if the image is set to 'cable' as default, otherwise will just show sat settings again ;)], or by renaming the cable.xml back to its original cables.xml name and re-scanning.

I suppose you could also change the FTP password from "dbox2" to something else like "c84iJGS8323abC1" (which nobody could guess and you would have to write down!). That way they wouldnt be able to enter the box via Telnet or FTP using the standard password.

Just make sure you dont leave your original services.xml/bouquets.xml files on your PC for them to FTP back to the box ;)

Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
Back