decent amp

supra

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys!

got 5.1 surround sound speakers. 4 tall pole like speakers and 1 horizontal one and a subwoofer speaker.

need to connect them up to an amp, what do u guys recommend? do i need a 5channel or 6? does the subwoofer count as the 6th?

hopefully a decent amp out there must have optical in aswell....ive searched but just confused myself, any ideas anyone?

:Cheers:

Onkyo 505 is meant to be excellent for around the £200-£250 mark

Depends on your budget

cant seem to find a good link or any link for that matter to buy that amp.

cheers lads! u both get good reps for that ;) :Clap:

supra if you haven't already bought one I've seen last years AV receivers go for £150 or less at AV forums in the classifieds. Unless you must insist on HD Audio they are an absolute bargain.

If you are on a tight budget I'd seriously take a look, other wise the Onkyo will do you very nicely for surround sound. For 2 channel stereo it is a little weak IMO.

Oh and the sub always counts as the .1 in every setup. So if you have front,front left,front right,rear right,rear left you have 5 speakers plus the sub so you get 5.1 :)

If you are ever considering Blu ray and have or will be buying a PS3 for blu ray playback then for £250 i would seriously consider the yamaha DSPAX761 which has HDMI connectivity and can process the HD audio from the recently firmware upgraded PS3, The onkyo 505 only has HDMI video switching and cannot process the audio for amplification only pass through for your TV.

Have a look HERE this is a far better buy.

If you are ever considering Blu ray and have or will be buying a PS3 for blu ray playback then for £250 i would seriously consider the yamaha DSPAX761 which has HDMI connectivity and can process the HD audio from the recently firmware upgraded PS3, The onkyo 505 only has HDMI video switching and cannot process the audio for amplification only pass through for your TV.

Have a look HERE this is a far better buy.

Nice bargain for sure!

Back