Dead V8S Box

Agfagaevart

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone help. I've had an Openbox V8S for about 3 years. Before xmas it just kept rebooting (0 - 100 etc.) Tried numerous times to restore it with a number of cables USB - RS232 / RS232 - RS232 all to no avail as the box is now stuck on a "LOAD" display. Openbox's so called support is useless, suggesting I send it to Manchester for them to fix - Their websit is just as US. Any suggestions from anyone here, appreciated.

Try another 12v power supply if you have one. At less than £40 to buy new any professional repair would render it beyond economical repair in my opinion.

Try another 12v power supply if you have one. At less than £40 to buy new any professional repair would render it beyond economical repair in my opinion.
Tried a new PSU that made no difference...Don't want to buy another box if it does this, and I cannot fix it.

Tried a new PSU that made no difference...Don't want to buy another box if it does this, and I cannot fix it.
The issue your having had always been an issue with openboxes. It usually accord when updating channel list via USB.
(but not all the time)

I suspect you have followed instructions here:
Openbox v8s load.... 97,98 again load error how to fix !!

If that has failed i would just call it a day with your openbox, i certainly would not buy another openbox i had them years and years ago and they cheap for a reason.
For an extra £10/£20 you could get a zgemma that needs less attention once setup correctly and is twice the box.

I never updated it, because as it wasn't broke I didn't try to fix it. Until one day I plugged it into the mains and it decided to loop on boot up. And what about all the recordings I've made on it? Are they all useless now?? :-/
The Zgemma boxes look unreliable also, according to the Amazon reviews I've read. My old Sky analogue box is still going almost 20 years later. But then, that was made by Pace.

Recording on external storage ? Well plug it in the PC and see.

If you want a reasonably priced sat box that are built well go for the Octagon SF8008.

Most Openboxes end up in the bin junk hardware.

I never updated it, because as it wasn't broke I didn't try to fix it. Until one day I plugged it into the mains and it decided to loop on boot up. And what about all the recordings I've made on it? Are they all useless now?? :-/
The Zgemma boxes look unreliable also, according to the Amazon reviews I've read. My old Sky analogue box is still going almost 20 years later. But then, that was made by Pace.
How would your recordings be “useless” mate?
They are stored on your USB drive.

With reference to zgemma.... air digital is not the same company that made openboxes. Dragonworth who made them openboxes made a cheap box.
Zgemma is lower end spec compared to VU. But will do the same job on a budget “without” issues.
You say you read reviews on amazon. Reviews on amazon is like news on social media.
You say advise was given to send your box to manchester to get fixed.... is that them clowns that would only install xtream on openboxes?
(fooking muppets they are)

As mentioned if you have not followed guide in link try it. If you have tried it and failed “bin box” mate.
DO NOT send it to them rats.

Box is really old, its served its time if all avenues have failed.
As far as your recordings go...... if you decide to get engima2 (zgemma)
Just setup box with HDD and FTP your current recordings into new 21st century box.
Can i ask what sat your using mate?

(river)

Amazon is hardly like that anti-social media. There are more sensible people on Amazon. And 3 years is hardly old. 5 + years I could understand! Openbox had some useful features like DisEqu switching that I need, as I use it to watch Eurosport FTA on Eutelsat 19 deg. East and Astra. Really don't fancy that Octagon SF8008 much. Openbox "support" said I could send it to them, I replied no way!

The recordings run in my spare Humax so that's cool.
I've tried all the firmwares on Openbox site, and here. Would like to try the version here but can't access it. If this fails I'll open the Openbox up, look at the caps, if all okay I'll just call it quits!

You need 5 posts you have them and 1 like to be able to download.

There is also a 24hr wait after achieving that. Same for every new member.

Whereaboots from like?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I say Geordie she sounds like one like but not a true Geordie.

Cleveland born moved to Newcastle at 3 then Yorkshire at 14.

Back