dd-wrt router, is there any point in spending over a £100

Windows Virtual Box

Could be a long tutorial but going to have a play about oooo something new to play about with and batter my brain , been a while :)

Last edited:
Can you start a thread and make a tutorial m8 about it @Grimeire ;)

make a tutorial about getting it running virtually on virtual box is it? this one seems to cover that
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I dont use windows or virtual box so wont be able to make a tutorial. I would advise you put it on a bare metal hyper-visor or some device that is on 24/7 if you are planning on replacing your existing router.

Its actually pretty simple to install so i doubt you will have any problems with it. If you do let me know and I will help if I can.

I run pfsense on a cheap desktop dual core CPU 4 GB RAM and 2 nics and a 60 GB HDD .. nothing fancy. Can handle 5 VPN clients connected without any issues

Obviously the more VPN clients the more better hardware, a CPU that supports AES encryption is recommended

I run pfsense on a cheap desktop dual core CPU 4 GB RAM and 2 nics and a 60 GB HDD .. nothing fancy. Can handle 5 VPN clients connected without any issues

Obviously the more VPN clients the more better hardware, a CPU that supports AES encryption is recommended

I have 3 Pfsenses virtualised. 1 at home, 1 in work lab and one a datacenter. None have more than 1GB of RAM and 1 vCPU and i have never had a problem with any of them.

I think you allocated way too much resources as mine never goes above 50% resource usage. :D

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 09.24.34.png

Last edited:
I have 3 Pfsenses virtualised. 1 at home, 1 in work lab and one a datacenter. None have more than 1GB of RAM and 1 vCPU and i have never had a problem with any of them.

I think you allocated way too much resources as mine never goes above 50% resource usage. :D

yes the spec is way too much for my, but picked up desktop for 10 quid and 5 quid for the NIC card so cost me 15 quid in all to set it up

yes the spec is way too much for my, but picked up desktop for 10 quid and 5 quid for the NIC card so cost me 15 quid in all to set it up

Ill stick ESXI on it and run Pfsense virtually and you will be able to run a VM or two on it as well.

guys im looking at this on the very site -TP-Link Archer C80
reason is i can get £50 return if spending £100
so i checked the DD-WRT » Router Database database and i dont see it coming up, does that mean it doesnt support dd-wrt

guys im looking at this on the very site -TP-Link Archer C80
reason is i can get £50 return if spending £100
so i checked the DD-WRT » Router Database database and i dont see it coming up, does that mean it doesnt support dd-wrt

if you are after a cheap router with gigbit ports dual band wifi and usb with ddwrt support then find the tpl;ink wdr3600 - you can get a second hand one for 20 quid on ebay

I run 3 of these at home with ddwrt, one has the openvpn client setup for the iptv today and been solid all day during the football

If you after a high-speed router that supports DD-WRT they are not going cheap on Fleebay

But keep looking you might get someone that's not got a clue and selling one cheap

cracking deal, got myself a decent router that will be fine for me, thru in a firestick which i'll flog once ive done some stuff to it, all in all got a router for £19, got a code thru under the wife, spend over 100 get 50 back, sorted.
thanks guys , just to flash it now and get it set up

Attachments

• ScreenShot00219.jpg
    ScreenShot00219.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
Just removed your address and uploaded it again

Reactions: GIO
Hi Guys,
I bought a TP-LINK AC1750 router recently, seems to be on the list of routers i can use DD-WRT. I have downloaded factory-to-ddwrt.bin and tplink_archer-c7-v5.bin which seem to be the newest, i was going to do this tomorrow but a bit worried i screwup and ruin the router.
I have been reading pages on this and it gets a bit complicated.
Do i flash the router with factory-to-ddwrt.bin first then flash with tplink_archer-c7-v5.bin

im also looking at this page Flash Router with DD-WRT Firmware on purevpns page and this page - DD-WRT

any help would be grateful, last thing i want to do is screw this up.

gio

Just the factory to dd-wrt bin its really simple on the tplinks
so i just ignore tplink_archer-c7-v5.bin and use the one you mentioned, why do they stick the 2 together, will do tomorrow

so i just ignore tplink_archer-c7-v5.bin and use the one you mentioned, why do they stick the 2 together, will do tomorrow

Yes, probably if you want to revert back, all id do is do a restore on router before flashing dd-wrt

factory to ddwrt is if for a new flash, as in router is running the oem firmware and you want to move to ddwrt

the ddwrt firmware is if you are already running ddwrt and want to upgrade to another version of ddwrt

worth looking at tomato firmware if router supports it

I have 4 routers at home main one running Fresh Tomato on a Tenda AC15 and DDWRT on 3 TPLink WDR3600

Back