dd-wrt router, is there any point in spending over a £100

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
dd-wrt router, is there any point in spending over a £100
Hi,
was going to buy a router to work off the virgin router, i read the spec of routers saying they give up to1900mb or 3200mbsor giving coverage of 1800 sq ft or even more when i have a normal small house and only getting 100mb from virgin.

I see your way of thinking maybe not then, if your planning on running VPN via your router though cpu speed and memory size do matter.

you dont need to run ddwrt on an expensive router, I have 2 ddwrt routers running on old TPlink routers cost me around 10 quid each

my main router is a Tenda AS15 running Tomato, which cost me 85 pounds

what VM speed are you on.

no point in buying a expensive router

this is speed test for my laptop via wifi to my TPlink router that has a maximum of 100MB/s connection to the main router, and as you can see that is what I get over wifi

10133193285.png

my download is around 100mb from vermin and yes its for vpn,(SICK of them messing with me), just need to sort some stuff out as i have 4 or 5 main devices running off the main router via a small hub, i have vpn on my android box but then i leave my tv, xbox etc on nothing and i want it on all. vpn runs from the pc at the moment but i want another router and run vermin router as modem, im sure you can guess why;).
been meaning to do this for years but never got round to it. Theres routers that support dd-wrt ar around£60/70, i just cant see why paying £120 or even double that.
i do know what you mean about ram and cpu spec but most dont talk about that as there specials, mostly download possibilities and Wi-Fi range
there is companies that sell main company routers flashed already but im sure i can do it.
so many variations of models and makes and probably not a big difference between, for instance below, can get for just under £70, where as theres ones at £150 or £200
P-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1300 Mbps/5 GHz + 450 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN

above is just an example, i just mean do i need to spend a lot to get one, no plans of running big systems or need, just for VPN
my vpn provider has sent a long list of router companies and instructions for each

they use a partner company that supply routers already flashed, eg, or get mine done and charge a whopping £100 to flash, but ive been looking up some of the below just to make sure i get one that actually can be flashed so i dont make a mistake buying one that cant.

Netgear R6700
Netgear R6400
Netgear R7000

gio

Last edited:
Well youll struggle to max out 100mb with vpn installed on any routers that will be down to who you use for vpn.

What speeds do you get on your PC with vpn connected ?

if you want a VPN server, build a pfsense firewall and install the VPN module

I did this in March when a lot of local companies had to get staff to work from home, so setup pfsense with VPN and as its open source no license cost

i get 110mb on the pc, 10mb upload - right now i cant even get connected to purevpn, might be something to do with making changes on the vermin router, not sure unless i reverse the change (Enable everything under Pass Through, i.e. IPSEC, PPTP and Multicast.)

connecting to a uk server
on my android box i get an average 70mb without vpn on, with vpn on im getting crap 10mb average

i get 110mb on the pc, 10mb upload - right now i cant even get connected to purevpn, might be something to do with making changes on the vermin router, not sure unless i reverse the change (Enable everything under Pass Through, i.e. IPSEC, PPTP and Multicast.)

connecting to a uk server
on my android box i get an average 70mb without vpn on, with vpn on im getting crap 10mb average

are you using UDP or TCP for your VPN connection, as this can make a difference

my download is around 100mb from vermin and yes its for vpn,(SICK of them messing with me), just need to sort some stuff out as i have 4 or 5 main devices running off the main router via a small hub, i have vpn on my android box but then i leave my tv, xbox etc on nothing and i want it on all. vpn runs from the pc at the moment but i want another router and run vermin router as modem, im sure you can guess why;).
been meaning to do this for years but never got round to it. Theres routers that support dd-wrt ar around£60/70, i just cant see why paying £120 or even double that.
i do know what you mean about ram and cpu spec but most dont talk about that as there specials, mostly download possibilities and Wi-Fi range
there is companies that sell main company routers flashed already but im sure i can do it.
so many variations of models and makes and probably not a big difference between, for instance below, can get for just under £70, where as theres ones at £150 or £200
P-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1300 Mbps/5 GHz + 450 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN

above is just an example, i just mean do i need to spend a lot to get one, no plans of running big systems or need, just for VPN
my vpn provider has sent a long list of router companies and instructions for each

they use a partner company that supply routers already flashed, eg, or get mine done and charge a whopping £100 to flash, but ive been looking up some of the below just to make sure i get one that actually can be flashed so i dont make a mistake buying one that cant.

Netgear R6700
Netgear R6400
Netgear R7000

gio
The R7000 dual core cpu loads of ram will improve your VPN speeds through your router no end.

i wouldnt bother if you have slow internet
wouldnt sayy a 100mb is slow, i had 200mb and cut back as 100mb was enough for what i needed, but i am getting pissed off paying vermin £58 a month for 100mb no phone line and some crap tv channels i never watch, i will get round to phoning them but its thought of taking to someone from malaysia that gets on my wick

The R7000 dual core cpu loads of ram will improve your VPN speeds through your router no end.
will look at the R7000 but would rather pay a bit less than what there asking for that, can see around £110, maybe about £60 if you can suggest one

Found this one buy it now £67.99 free P&P ?

Fleebay

Don't know if it's the same chipset to install dd-wrt ?

Last edited:
Reactions: GIO
You don't even need a physical router to run dd-wrt as you can run it as a virtual machine.

My pfsense router is virtualized and it was the best thing I ever done. Running 3 VPNs and a VPN server on it and never had a problem.

Will have to look into that m8 sounds brilliant ;)

Something like this ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Will have to look into it a bit more looks very interesting ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back