dbox2 vs dreambox

m0dm0

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey

whats the differences between the two box's?

m0dm0 said:
hey
whats the differences between the two box's?
Well apart from price the dbox is a unit with two manufacturers - Nokia and Sagem. It's a cable receiver, mainly used in Germany. Much the same as any other cable receiver, it has an EPG, parental lock, favourites and all the usual stuff. It's a Linux based operating system but as supplied does nothing more than any other cable receiver.

It's now approaching 5 years old and is considered by some to be 'old' technology.A decent dbox (with s/ware) will set you back around £70/80 on fleabay.

A Dreambox is firstly a range of recievers made by Dream-Multimedia GmbH (Germany) it's essentially an updated reciever, with a more powerful unit than the dbox.

Currently start at around £130

In order to setup and use either of these you do need to do some reading and have some desire to 'get yer hands dirty' they are not 'plug and play' type boxes but with time & effort your endevours will be rewarded.

I was going to get a dBox but after reading this I might consider a Dreambox instead. More reading for me then.

Not that I'm advertising them but even a few dbox users on DW are looking to 'migrate'

So as mine is on it's way as are a few others you can expect a lot of stuff here over the coming weeks, as we all play with our new toys... ;-)

Which boxes will run on cable, I have looked at a few prices and they vary in price a lot. They range in price from £130 to £399.

rock said:
Which boxes will run on cable, I have looked at a few prices and they vary in price a lot. They range in price from £130 to £399.
Only the 500C. I have one, very good!

The 500C, they start from about £130. Do you just set them up like you would a dBox?

rock said:
The 500C, they start from about £130. Do you just set them up like you would a dBox?

PM me and I'll send you some notes I made

@rock i've uploaded a few files and configured uk image in the dreambox downloads it might come in handy for you

my sagem dbox is forever blank screening thus me having to restart it all the time. Will the dreambox do the same thing? I have only bought 1 dbox and will never buy one again because they just aren't reliable enough to keep the picture going.

Your problems could be related to a signal strength issue? Although let me say that the dreambox is alot more stable. If you havent already, try attached a booster to your cable feed to see if you still get black screens.

leefield said:
@rock i've uploaded a few files and configured uk image in the dreambox downloads it might come in handy for you

Thanks mate I will have a look.

these boxes wont cut of when analogue is cut off will they?
+ they get vod dont they with a lot of work needed?
vod only if someone in ur area is watching wat u want to watch.

nope, these boxes are pure digital so they wont get cut off when analogue does. they DO get VOD but it does take work, and you need somebody in your area to scan the network using a DVB-C card to find out all the info needed... but yes its possible.

liamcrayden said:
nope, these boxes are pure digital so they wont get cut off when analogue does. they DO get VOD but it does take work, and you need somebody in your area to scan the network using a DVB-C card to find out all the info needed... but yes its possible.

They get VOD, unlike normal cable boxes?

I really need to clear up this issue with VOD.

It IS possible to view it using these boxes. However, you can only watch what other people have already ordered using their SUBSCRIBED BOXES. So if nobody has ordered anything then you cannot watch anything.

This is no ordering system, you cannot just watch what you like.

However, saying that, if you have a DVB-C card you can scan the cable network for the vod streams, and implement that data into your services file. You can then watch what other people have ordered.

Also remember, you can only watch it at the same time as someone else is. So chances are you'll tune into the movie half way through or something like that.

There isnt any set files that you can use to do this - the vod data will be different for nearly every user on this site! Therefore you will need to obtain a DVB-C PCI card for your PC to find the VOD streams - and then use logic to convert this data into stuff that can be understood by your box. It DOES take time and perseverence.

As I have tried to stress before in other sections, do NOT buy one of these boxes just to get VOD.... you WILL be disappointed.

I was merely pointing out the fact that it is possible.
Liam.

liamcrayden said:
Therefore you will need to obtain a DVB-C PCI card for your PC

More shopping then.... missus has yet to be convinced

Where's the best place to get a Dreambox then?

Back