Daytime running lights

Oggiman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I commute 80 miles per day mostly motorway and the number of vehicles I see during darkness/ dusk with no rear lights illuminated is shocking. Driving around with only front lights on.

Car manufacturers now sell vehicles with this setting turned on and owners have to override it in their dashboard settings. Better still leave the headlight setting on the stalk to Auto.

Do drivers actually know how daytime running lights work?

No - most people don't know.
I think it is insane that the "Daytime running lights" automation don't also turn on the rear lights on.
It makes sense that the front lights is on all day.

all cars after 2014 must have day time run lights. It was an EU thing. My car is a jap car so if i want i can turn it off but i have left it on.

The problem is that the rear lights is NOT turn on at the same time - so when it gets dark - you don't notice that your rear lights is NOT turn on....

I don't know why it is done this way - but it is insane

Lights on our car are always set to auto and then you never have to remember to switch them. Common sense imo.
The back lights come on at the same time as the front on our car. I didn’t know on some cars the back lights don’t come on at the same time as the front lights @CEB.
What model car is yours.

Lights on our car are always set to auto and then you never have to remember to switch them. Common sense imo.
The back lights come on at the same time as the front on our car. I didn’t know on some cars the back lights don’t come on at the same time as the front lights @CEB.
What model car is yours.
I can't remember the models since it was rental cars - sorry.

For many years is Denmark it was NOT common sense on some cars ... unfortunately.

My car has the daytime run lights but they foolishly illuminate the clocks speedo etc as part of the daytime lights protocol you dont notice this in daylight but as it turns dark your clocks are lit up and it kind of convinces you your lights are on when there not well the rears are not.

Car manufactures need the stop illuminating the clocks with the day time lights.

I just set mine to Auto and forget about em.

Back