Damp musty smell in car

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter's just bought a older Corsa, the only problem is, it smells damp musty. We've looked high and low for any water ingress or damp but it's dry as a bone.
I'm not sure we're it's coming from, we've ordered the a/c con cleaner you spray in the vents and a Holts air bomb were you set them off with the air blower on.
What's the best treatment for the seats and carpet spray wise ?, an enzyme cleaner of some sort ?. That fabreeze is a load of poo I'm thinking more on the lines of a stronger industrial type cleaner, something a car valeter would use the type that kill the bacteria in the upholstery and carpets.

I would just take it to get a professional valet,pointing out "the damp musky smell",by the time you try all the spreys,fresheners and ac cleaners probs wont be much diff in cost,on a lighter note i have heard of people buying cars that have been in the middle of disputes,that have had all sorts of nasty stuff put under the carpets etc..lol..maybe worth a check..?

Have you changed the cabin filter behind the glovebox?. A lot of garages miss that one. Its in a little plastic box.Unclip it and change the sponge.Get it the right way around though, when 're fitting the new one. Good luck.

I'm gonna change that migg today. It proper pen and inks the car like a charity shop storage room. Ive looked for upholstery products but I think my old ladies remedies gonna be the one. Baking soda , white vinegar.
Eurocarparts do an air bomb and one of those you spray direct into the vents. I think I'll try that. As for a valet ? £64.99 full valet near me with air con cleaner good price but too dear for me

I got a Normfest spray this morning from Eurocarparts and a Normfest one bomb and to top it off a cheap pet odour remover spray. It smells 20 times better but for how long I'm not sure. The Pollen filter looked brand spank new as it did have a mini service before I bought it but I sprayed that up as well.

Damp may be held within the carpets, I know that you say it is bone dry, is there any dampness within the spare wheel well drain plugs !!
I found this out after having to change a tyre. (nail)

DEN

First place iI checked that, It's dry. I think it's a combination of, smelly carpets, seats, fabric door cards and air con. It's sat with the doors open after treating it.
Gonna get ons of those moisture trays with kat litter draw any moisture out.

First place iI checked that, It's dry. I think it's a combination of, smelly carpets, seats, fabric door cards and air con. It's sat with the doors open after treating it.
Gonna get ons of those moisture trays with kat litter draw any moisture out.
Blimey !! don't leave the keys in it, the cat will piss in the tray and pinch your motor man.😲😂😂

Once its dry take out the mats and any other removables, clean and dry then steam clean all the carpets and add an ono block ono is very strong used in recycle plants,

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Yes works well in covering bad smells, lining fresh is extremely strong, think you can get it in a spray too, it's an industrial odor eater and not to expensive

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

car was last seen on driveway where a fresh heap is now smelling:eek:

Ozone works well but you need a generator. in the end you need to find the source or it will keep coming back.

I remember some while back I had some cushions to replace on a chair they smelt the same but after a good while it went away. I'm thinking it's in the foam itself and held hostage. When it gets warmer thats if it ever does I'll shampoo the seats and see if it gets rid

Op, this sounds as tho it is the air conditioning that is causing the musty damp smell.

Ive used s a air con cleaner and sprayed down all the vents. I even removed the pollen cab filter and sprayed down the vent from the engine. I also used an air con bomb but the smells slowly come back. If its the air con / air vents,causing the problem What's the options to get rid of the smell ?

Hello silver I had this problem in my insignia, I did as you did but I replaced the pollen filter and used a disinfectant spray that I got in the supermarket. I sprayed the vent with the fan on hot and running at full for about 15 minute.
This solved it for me.

Last edited:
It sounds like bacteria in your air con system vents ect. You need to get your air con recharged with fresh gas. That should cure it. And get it de bugged to it's an antiseptic treatment for air con.

OK thanks, £60 is the best I've seen a bacterial clean then regas at euromasters. It will have to be done as I cant borrow and drive the thing with that smell, ffs

Hello silver I had this problem in my insignia, I did as you did but I replaced the pollen filter and used a disinfectant spray that I got in the supermarket. I sprayed the vent with the fan on hot and running at full for about 15 minute.
This solved it for me.
I did try the anti-bacterial spray, I removed the cabin filter and sprayed down the vent and every air vent in the car and I used an air bomb. Like Migg's said, it will be the air con and the bacteria deep set into the air con system

Back